Dyke praises Prince FIFA bid
FA CHAIRMAN Greg Dyke has welcomed the decision by Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan to challenge Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency in May. Prince Ali (left), the FIFA vice-president and head of the Jordanian FA, is the first credible challenger to emerge and his decision has also been welcomed by UEFA president Michel Platini. Dyke, who has previously called for Blatter not to run again, said: “It is very important that there is a credible candidate standing against Mr Blatter and Prince Ali is certainly that.”
Platini said: “Prince Ali has all the credibility required to hold high office. We now await his proposals and his programme for the future of football.”
The FA board will make the decision about who to support once nominations close on January 31, but Prince Ali already has close ties with the organisation.
The 39-year-old – who was educated at Sandhurst and is son of the late King Hussein of Jordan – has positioned himself as a leading reformer of FIFA and was among those calling for the Garcia report into World Cup bidding to be published in full.
He said in a statement: “I believe it is time to shift the focus away from administrative controversy and back to sport.”