DERMOT’S X FACTOR ‘QUIT’ SHOCK
I might need a new challenge after eight years on show
Host Dermot O’Leary has cast doubt on his
X Factor future – saying that he might not return this year.
The ex- Big Brother’s Little Brother presenter took over in 2007, after Kate Thornton was axed by Simon Cowell.
But Dermot, 41, said that he could be tempted by a new challenge. Asked if he had signed up for the 12th series, he told Radio Times: “Not yet. Usually we talk in about mid-February. “Of course I love doing it, and it’s a huge part of my life, but it’s eight years now. I haven’t made up my mind yet.
“If a new challenge came up that meant I couldn’t do both, then... But while I’m still enjoying it, I want to carry on.”
Dermot blamed The X Factor’s falling viewing figures on the length of the ITV show, last won by Ben Haenow.
“The way people watch X Factor is very different to the way people watch
Strictly,” he said. “A lot of our audience know that they can go out on a Saturday night and watch it on catch-up, or the kids go to bed and they watch it as a family the following morning.
“It’s a long show, to ask people to watch two-and-a-half hours is never easy.”
He said that he was “a little” annoyed that rival BBC1 show Strictly Come
Dancing had been scheduled at the same times as The X Factor, but that he did not “lose sleep over it”.
“Well done to Strictly, they’ve got a successful show. It’s rated really well, and it’s beaten us for the past couple of years. But then again, Bake Off’s probably beating both of us!”
EX FACTOR? Host Dermot