SEX CLAIM LABOUR MINISTER FOUND DEAD
EX-Welsh Government minister Carl Sargeant has been found dead just days after being sacked and suspended from the Labour Party over sex allegations.
A family statement said his relatives were “devastated beyond words” at the loss of “the glue that bound us together”.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the death of the 49-year-old was “terrible and deeply shocking news”.
Mr Sargeant, who is understood to have taken his own life, was a “much loved husband, father and friend”, a statement released by the family said.
The statement said: “Carl wasn’t simply a part of our family. He was the glue that bound us together. He was the heart of our family. We loved him so very much.
“He was the most kind and caring husband, father, son and friend.
“We are devastated beyond words and we know our grief will be shared by all those who knew and loved him.”
Mr Corbyn said: “My thoughts and profound sympathy are with Carl’s family, friends and colleagues.”
Alyn and Deeside AM Mr Sargeant was suspended from party membership and “removed” from his role as Cabinet secretary for communities and children on November 3.
He said he was told about the existence of the allegations against him by First Minister Carwyn Jones but had not been given details about the claims.
Mr Sargeant described the allegations about his personal conduct “shocking and distressing” and he had hoped for an investigation to give him the chance to clear his name.
On Monday, Mr Jones said he was forced to take action after becoming aware of “certain incidents” with women allegedly involving Mr Sargeant.
He said: “My office spoke to the women involved, as a result of those discussions I felt there was no choice other than to refer the matter to my own party for further investigation.”
The body of Mr Sargeant was found at his home in Connah’s Quay, Flintshire, on Tuesday morning.
North Wales Police are not treating his death as suspicious.
ALLEGED INCIDENTS: Carl Sargeant had been suspended by Labour