Po­lice shut probe into ‘acid at­tack’ on man, 49

Midweek Visiter - - Scene By You - BY AN­DREW BROWN an­drew.brownNW@trin­i­tymir­ror.com @visan­drew­brown

MERSEY­SIDE Po­lice of­fi­cers have said they are no longer look­ing for any sus­pects af­ter an al­leged acid at­tack on a man in South­port.

De­tec­tives were called to Hawk­shead Street in Souith­port at around 9.35pm on Sat­ur­day, Sep­tem­ber 9 af­ter a 999 call say­ing that a 49-yearold male had been at­tacked by a gang who were said to have been punch­ing and kick­ing him be­fore throw­ing an un­known sub­stance in his face.

Po­lice said the youths, de­scribed as three males and a fe­male aged 17-19, then left on foot tak­ing his mo­bile phone and wal­let.

An ap­peal on the Visiter web­site was sub­se­quently shared thou­sands of times, with news of the at­tack be­ing re­ported na­tion­ally by the likes of the Daily Mir­ror and the BBC.

On Thurs­day night how­ever po­lice sur­pris­ingly said they are now drop­ping the case - but did not go into the rea­sons why.

Mersey­side Po­lice De­tec­tive In­spec­tor Si­mon Vaughan said: “Hav­ing con­ducted a full and de­tailed in­ves­ti­ga­tion into this in­ci­dent, Mersey­side Po­lice can con­firm that we are no longer look­ing for any of­fend­ers and the case is now closed.

“The 49-year-old man has been dis­charged from hos­pi­tal and is re­cov­er­ing and re­ceiv­ing sup­port at home.

“We would like to thank the pub­lic for their sup­port fol­low­ing the in­ci­dent and dur­ing the course of the sub­se­quent in­ves­ti­ga­tion, and re­as­sure the com­mu­nity that we will al­ways thor­oughly in­ves­ti­gate such in­ci­dents and work with part­ners to en­sure the safety of the com­mu­nity.”

Af­ter po­lice were called out to the al­leged at­tack, an in­ves­ti­ga­tion was launched with sev­eral of­fi­cers con­duct­ing foren­sics and house to house en­quiries. CCTV op­por­tu­ni­ties were also be­ing ex­plored.

Tests were car­ried out on the sub­stance thrown at the man in­volved.

De­tec­tive In­spec­tor Si­mon Vaughan ini­tially said: “This was a shock­ing and com­pletely un­pro­voked at­tack on a man who was sim­ply walk­ing home.

“Vi­o­lent rob­beries such as this will not be tol­er­ated by Mersey­side Po­lice and I am sure the lo­cal com­mu­nity will agree this is com­pletely unac­cept­able.”

Po­lice at the scene of the al­leged at­tack on Hawk­shead Street on Sat­ur­day, Sep­tem­ber 9. The case has now been closed with no of­fend­ers be­ing sought

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.