Police shut probe into ‘acid attack’ on man, 49
MERSEYSIDE Police officers have said they are no longer looking for any suspects after an alleged acid attack on a man in Southport.
Detectives were called to Hawkshead Street in Souithport at around 9.35pm on Saturday, September 9 after a 999 call saying that a 49-yearold male had been attacked by a gang who were said to have been punching and kicking him before throwing an unknown substance in his face.
Police said the youths, described as three males and a female aged 17-19, then left on foot taking his mobile phone and wallet.
An appeal on the Visiter website was subsequently shared thousands of times, with news of the attack being reported nationally by the likes of the Daily Mirror and the BBC.
On Thursday night however police surprisingly said they are now dropping the case - but did not go into the reasons why.
Merseyside Police Detective Inspector Simon Vaughan said: “Having conducted a full and detailed investigation into this incident, Merseyside Police can confirm that we are no longer looking for any offenders and the case is now closed.
“The 49-year-old man has been discharged from hospital and is recovering and receiving support at home.
“We would like to thank the public for their support following the incident and during the course of the subsequent investigation, and reassure the community that we will always thoroughly investigate such incidents and work with partners to ensure the safety of the community.”
After police were called out to the alleged attack, an investigation was launched with several officers conducting forensics and house to house enquiries. CCTV opportunities were also being explored.
Tests were carried out on the substance thrown at the man involved.
Detective Inspector Simon Vaughan initially said: “This was a shocking and completely unprovoked attack on a man who was simply walking home.
“Violent robberies such as this will not be tolerated by Merseyside Police and I am sure the local community will agree this is completely unacceptable.”
Police at the scene of the alleged attack on Hawkshead Street on Saturday, September 9. The case has now been closed with no offenders being sought