The first two ‘J70s’ entered service in autumn 1903. They had boilers pressed to 180lbs/sq in, 3ft 1in diameter driving wheels and two outside 12in by 15in cylinders and outside Walschaerts valve gear. Like their four-coupled predecessors, they had cowcatchers, sideplates, speed governors, bell and wooden body with cabs at each end.
‘J70’ No. 68216 puts on a spirited display at Ipswich docks on August 30 1951.