Despite their Victorian origins and unconventional looks, three more ‘C53s’ were built in 1921. By the end of the year the 12 locomotives were divided between Yarmouth Vauxhall (three), Ipswich (six) and Wisbech (three). One was transferred to Colchester in 1928 to work Hythe Docks; a ‘J70’ was always allocated to Colchester from then on. ‘J70s’ were transferred away from Yarmouth Vauxhall when twin-cabbed 200hp Sentinels arrived. These had, ironically, been trialled on the Wisbech & Upwell but hadn’t been a success.