Motor Sport News - - Racing News -

Le­ices­ter­shire driv­ers Joe Spencer and David Porter shared the wins at their home track in the Club Mal­lory Sports Car races on Box­ing Day.

Af­ter An­drew Bar­rett spun his Mazda MX-5 at Ger­ard’s Bend, Brian Dean (West­field SEI) made the early run­ning in the opener, be­fore Porter dived ahead at Lake Esses on lap three. The Rad­i­cal SR3 driver was soon reeled in by Spencer (RSM200), who charged through from the penul­ti­mate row of the grid to be in Porter’s wheel tracks by the end of lap four.

Spencer’s more wieldy Stu­art Tay­lor Lo­cosaki-de­rived car took the lead at Shaw’s hair­pin on lap five and he kept the for­mer Road Sa­loons cham­pion at bay, al­though the gap var­ied ac­cord­ing to the traf­fic. The se­cond RSM200 of Dave Har­vey took third from Dean on lap seven, while the re­main­der of the field were at least one lap down. Andy Grimm (BDN S2) and Philip Hart (Mal­lock Mk16) com­pleted the top six.

BARC (NW) Sports/sa­loon cham­pion Spencer looked set to com­plete a dou­ble later, but it was his team-mate Har­vey that made an as­ton­ish­ing start, climb­ing from 16th to lead into Lake Esses on the first lap. By the end of the third tour Har­vey’s ad­van­tage was 12s, but by that point the 20-year-old Spencer had made his way ahead of Ian Smythe’s Fisher Fury into se­cond. Har­vey’s ad­van­tage di­min­ished at the rate of 2s per lap and even­tu­ally Spencer was able to go around the out­side of him at Ger­ard’s. Har­vey fought back at the hair­pin but Spencer went ahead into the first turn of what many thought was the last lap.

How­ever, the race ran to its sched­uled 15 min­utes, rather than the 10 mooted as dark­ness de­scended, leav­ing the RSM ri­vals to slug it out. Disas­ter struck a minute from the end when they went ei­ther side of back­mark­ers ap­proach­ing the hair­pin and Har­vey locked up on the grass. As he re­joined the cir­cuit, he T-boned Spencer, elim­i­nat­ing both.

Porter picked up the pieces, tak­ing his first Mal­lory win since a 1998 Pro­ton Coupe Cup round, by more than a lap over Dean. Grimm was third.

The Sa­loon Car races were also di­vided two ways, with Andy Thomp­son com­plet­ing a Box­ing Day hat-trick in the opener be­fore BTCC driver Ste­wart Lines took race two.

Rich Hock­ley – run­ning a new en­gine and gear­box in his Honda Civic – led ini­tially be­fore Mike Webb went ahead at the Esses in his Ford Fo­cus. For­mer Road Sa­loon cham­pion Brian Sale gave chase in the se­cond race of his come­back af­ter a two-decade lay-off, but he clonked into the back of Webb un­der brak­ing for Shaw’s on lap seven, then re­tired when the bumper wedged un­der­neath his Rover SD1. Webb lasted just a few more yards be­fore suf­fer­ing drive­shaft fail­ure.

Thomp­son, who had a dou­ble Mal­lory win in 2014, took over the lead. He fended off Lines for the fi­nal eight laps, while Peter Felix (Re­nault Clio) could not pass Hock­ley for third.

Hock­ley led most of race two but Lines sealed the win with a move at Shaw’s on lap eight. Thomp­son re­tired, hav­ing briefly made it a three-way fight, pro­mot­ing the scrap be­tween Felix and Sale. The ex­tra grunt of the Rover told, be­fore Felix too headed back to the pad­dock.

Spencer and Porter fought hard twice

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.