IN THIS ISSUE “Magnussen will join Renault F1”
Dane will replace Pastor Maldonado at reborn works team after sponsorship loss
Danish ace Kevin Magnussen will be revealed as a Renault F1 Team driver in a launch event in Paris today, after the team’s contract with Pastor Maldonado was terminated.
Venezuelan racer Maldonado was originally set to stay with the team, having signed a new contract with the team when it was still Lotus back at September’s Singapore Grand Prix.
However, sources suggest that since Renault bought out the team there has been a disagreement over funding between the French firm and Maldonado’s long-term backer, Venezuelan oil and gas firm PDVSA. This dispute has led to the contract being dissolved.
Renault has already held talks with Magnussen, with the 23-year-old visiting the Enstone factory for two days earlier this year. Magnussen parted ways with Mclaren last year, having been told just four months ago that he was surplus to requirements at the Woking team with both Jenson Button and Fernando Alonso staying on.
Magnussen will be unveiled alongside Briton Jolyon Palmer when Renault launches its 2016 outfit at an event in Paris today (Wednesday).
The loss of his Renault seat leaves Maldonado without a spot on the grid this year. He did have options at Manor, but with a deal requiring swift negotiations with pre-season testing due to begin in Barcelona on February 22, Maldonado has confirmed he won’t start the season.
He said in a statement: “In recent days, there have been a number of rumours about my immediate future in Formula 1. I most humbly inform you I will not be present on the starting grid for 2016.”