Hol­ly­wood joins Beechdean for GT

Motor Sport News - - Racing News -

Beechdean Mo­tor­sport will field two Bri­tish GT4 cars later this year, with reign­ing class cham­pion Jamie Chad­wick re­turn­ing to part­ner celebrity baker Paul Hol­ly­wood.

Beechdean, which has won the GT4 driv­ers’ ti­tle for the past two sea­sons, will run a se­cond As­ton Martin Van­tage GT4 for Chad­wick and Great Bri­tish Bake Off star Hol­ly­wood for the fi­nal three meet­ings of the year, from Spa-fran­cor­champs on­wards. It is only a lim­ited cam­paign due to Hol­ly­wood’s work com­mit­ments and Chad­wick’s school stud­ies tak­ing prece­dence.

Team head An­drew Howard said: “The deal has come to­gether nicely as Paul has com­mit­ments and it’s a big year for Jamie too with ex­ams.

“The plan was to do the full cham­pi­onship with Paul, but that’s not pos­si­ble. We will be look­ing to race the car more out­side of Bri­tish GT though, as and when Paul can slot events in.”

Two se­ri­ous ac­ci­dents marred the 74th Mem­bers’ Meet­ing at Good­wood last Sun­day.

In the day’s open­ing race, the Brooks Tro­phy for grand prix cars of the 1954-1960 era, Stephen Bond’s Lotus 18 was tipped into a se­ries of cart­wheels ( above) af­ter con­tact with Richard Wil­son’s slid­ing Cooper. The Lotus ended up drop­ping down into the pedes­trian tun­nel op­po­site the pits.

No one in the tun­nel was harmed, but a spec­ta­tor did as­sist Bond from the car.

Bond is be­lieved to have suf­fered a bro­ken col­lar­bone, but oth­er­wise es­caped se­ri­ous in­jury.

Later in the day, Dutch racer Michiel Smits was air­lifted to hos­pi­tal af­ter his Lola T70 Spy­der plunged off the track at the high­speed Wood­cote Cor­ner dur­ing the Bruce Mclaren Tro­phy for Can-am and Group 7 pro­to­types raced up to 1966.

It is thought de­bris ei­ther hit Smits or forced him to take avoid­ing ac­tion, re­sult­ing in the Lola go­ing off. The front of the car was crushed and Smits was air­lifted to hos­pi­tal af­ter mar­shals worked to ex­tri­cate him from the T70.

A fam­ily state­ment said Smits had suf­fered a bro­ken rib and two bro­ken ver­te­brae.

A Good­wood state­ment said: “Michiel Smits was taken to the near­est trauma cen­tre, where his con­di­tion was sta­bilised. He spent the night in hos­pi­tal with fam­ily mem­bers.”

The ac­ci­dents have brought the cir­cuit’s safety into fo­cus, with the fastest Can-am cars now ca­pa­ble of lap­ping at over 110mph, faster than the For­mula 1 lap record prior to the cir­cuit’s clo­sure in 1966.

The two de­lays af­fected the timetable and the fi­nal three races were re­duced to 10-minute sprints and the fi­nal race, the Par­nell Cup, ended in rapidly fail­ing light.

An­other Good­wood state­ment, is­sued on Mon­day, said: “Good­wood re­views all pro­ce­dures af­ter ev­ery event in­clud­ing health and safety. In con­junc­tion with the rel­e­vant mo­tor sport bod­ies, we will be re­view­ing the is­sues raised at the 74th Mem­ber’s Meet­ing to en­sure Good­wood con­tin­ues to hold safe events.”

Hol­ly­wood joins GT4

Smits was air­lifted af­ter this ac­ci­dent

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.