Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports -

Hav­ing won the XR Chal­lenge for the last two years in a row Michael Heath’s XR2 con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate with an­other dou­ble vic­tory.

Steve Poole just had the edge into Old Hall from the start but, hav­ing ousted Heath from sec­ond on lap two, Ralph Ferni­hough had the lead two laps later. But his ad­van­tage was short­lived as he spun off at Cas­cades on lap five. Poole was back in front but un­der pres­sure from Heath again, be­fore they swapped once more into Old Hall.

With a lap to go, Poole had to pit with a bro­ken throt­tle ca­ble. That left Heath well clear of Mark Bux­ton, while Justin Roberts just held off Ben Atkin­son for third.

Heath also led from the start of race two, but Bux­ton charged ahead as they crested Deer Leap for the first time. They were sideby-side down the Av­enue two laps later be­fore Heath went back ahead into Cas­cades to se­cure his sec­ond win of the day.

Poole charged from the back of the grid and was third into Old Hall on lap four be­fore suc­cess­fully reel­ing in Bux­ton to take sec­ond as they com­pleted the 10th lap. Roberts and Ferni­hough were next to chal­lenge Bux­ton, set­tling in third and fourth from lap eight, while Bux­ton fi­nally re­claimed fifth from Peter Lan­caster on the last lap.

Ben Cater’s Dal­lara led the first Mono­posto F3, 2000 and 2000 Clas­sic race as far as Fos­ters on the eighth lap, when pres­sure from Tony Bishop fi­nally told. David Gillett de­moted Cater too, but an outof-po­si­tion start penalty dropped him back to third. It was an­other Cater and Bishop duel in race two, with Bishop los­ing his early lead with a touch of the grass at Knicker­brook. Bishop’s pur­suit still threat­ened Cater un­til the chaser spun at Old Hall. Chris Dav­i­son surged through to take vic­tory, with Peter Venn sec­ond and Cater just hold­ing off Chris Hodgen.

Paul Tay­lor’s VW Golf had dom­i­nated the first VAG Tro­phy race, with Ja­son Tin­gle and Tommy Knight in sec­ond and third through­out.

It was con­sid­er­ably closer in the sec­ond race which, for nine laps, was led by Toby Bearne’s Golf. There was a four-car lead train by lap five, as Rob Al­lum, Darron Lewis and Didge Dz­i­urzyn­ski chased hard. Bearne ran wide over the kerbs at Fos­ters and that gave Al­lum the lead, but both Lewis and the re­cov­er­ing Bearne got by on the last lap, de­mot­ing Al­lum to third.

Both North­ern Saloons & Sports races were dom­i­nated by Joe Spencer’s Lo­cosaki. Paul Bry­don’s BMW M3 was soon a lonely sec­ond in the first race, leav­ing Bill Ad­di­son’s Cater­ham to com­plete the podium.

Af­ter Bry­don’s first at­tempt to wrest sec­ond from Ad­di­son at Old Hall in race two failed when he ran wide on the exit, his sec­ond at­tempt suc­ceeded. That left Ad­di­son to fall back.

With race one can­celled af­ter two red flags in the Mono­posto 1800, 1600 & Moto and race two start­ing with a third, the restart went to Jeremy Timms’ Dal­lara af­ter an early scrap with Richard Git­tings in his Jedi. Ja­son Timms was a clear third.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.