Motor Sport News - - British Gt Report: Brands -

Dou­ble Mini Miglia cham­pion Bill Sol­lis made a fairy­tale comeback to the se­ries at Brands Hatch last Sun­day, claim­ing vic­tory in an ex­cit­ing race two af­ter Shayne Dee­gan had taken the spoils in the first con­test.

With the Miglia and Se7en driv­ers com­pet­ing to­gether, over 40 Mi­nis took to the track in both races, pro­vid­ing a glo­ri­ous spec­ta­cle. Race one pole­man Dee­gan, rac­ing the car pre­pared by seven-time Miglia cham­pion Peter Baldwin, pow­ered ahead of Kane Astin on the open­ing tour and never looked back, pulling out a nine-sec­ond gap by the fin­ish. Reign­ing Miglia cham­pion Astin held sec­ond through­out ahead of the du­elling Ru­pert Deeth and Aaron Smith, with Sol­lis fin­ish­ing a dis­tant fifth. Welsh­man Ash­ley Davies was the first of the Se7en driv­ers home, fend­ing off Max Hunter’s chal­lenge.

Dee­gan’s hopes of a dou­ble were dashed at the start of race two when he bogged down on the line and then spun into the Pad­dock gravel. Con­versely, Sol­lis quickly moved up the field. Grab­bing the lead at the end of the open­ing tour, he then had to fend off the close at­ten­tions of Deeth, Astin, Smith and Colin Pea­cock.

As the drama in­ten­si­fied, Sol­lis had to put all his in­valu­able ex­pe­ri­ence to good use, while the ever-in­creas­ing pres­ence of back­mark­ers in the lat­ter half of the race also cre­ated some nervy mo­ments for the quin­tet. As the race neared its con­clu­sion, Deeth had worked his way into sec­ond and looked set to at­tempt a pass on Sol­lis. Hopes of a grand­stand fin­ish how­ever, were scup­pered by late cau­tion pe­riod, en­abling Sol­lis to claim a fa­mous suc­cess. Davies was vic­to­ri­ous again in the Se7ens ahead of Hunter.

Rod Birley was an­other vet­eran racer to en­joy suc­cess on Sun­day. Two fur­ther suc­cesses in the Sa­loons/ Can­nons Tin-tops dou­ble header meant he clocked up his 200th Brands Hatch race win. Mal­colm Wise was run­ner-up in both races.

Both Cater­ham Su­perlight R300 races were ham­pered by start­line shunts. Aaron Head held off the close at­ten­tions of Lee Wig­gins and Jack Sales to win a cur­tailed race one. All three driv­ers, along with Danny Win­stan­ley, were at the cen­tre of a typ­i­cally fraught bat­tle for the lead in the sec­ond race too. Head kept his cool to claim his sec­ond win of the week­end from Win­stan­ley, who ex­changed places with Wig­gins sev­eral times. Sales held fourth as just over a sec­ond cov­ered the top four at the flag.

The sole As­ton Martin GT Chal­lenge/in­ter­mar­que race was dom­i­nated by the BMW M3 GT4 of Jeremy Cooke and Mike Dowd, with the pair lead­ing the en­tire race aside from the manda­tory pit­stop pe­riod. Rapid laps at mid-dis­tance, plus a late pit­stop, helped Tom Black take sec­ond in his As­ton Martin, ahead of Chris Kemp’s Van­tage GT4. Mark Lib­beter

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.