Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports -

Pete Spar­row took the lead of the 2CV Racing Cham­pi­onship with a brace of vic­to­ries at Croft. Af­ter win­ning race one, he com­bined per­fectly with co-driver Jim Hen­shaw to take the two-hour en­durance win on Sun­day.

Spar­row had to work hard for his Satur­day win, hav­ing made a poor get­away from pole. Fel­low front row starter Nick Crispin led early on but wasn’t able to fend off sub­se­quent at­tacks from both Lien Davies and Louis Tyson.

While the lat­ter trio each took turns of head­ing the field in a highly en­ter­tain­ing race, Spar­row, who had dropped down to fourth, took his time be­fore re­claim­ing the lead at half-dis­tance from Davies.

Davies and Crispin com­pleted the podium in third, while the top 12 was cov­ered by just 8.1s.

Race two pro­duced an­other thriller and was only set­tled on the penul­ti­mate lap by an au­da­cious move from Alec Gra­ham into Sunny In on race-long leader Kris Tovey. It was a move that epit­o­mised 2CV racing, of which Gra­ham cer­tainly ap­proved. “It’s al­ways bril­liant here at Croft and 2CV is a fab­u­lous form of racing. It’s al­ways close and car­nage,” ex­claimed Gra­ham af­ter tak­ing the che­quered flag.

Gra­ham con­firmed his Croft spe­cial­ist sta­tus by tak­ing a re­mark­able sec­ond in the en­durance race on Sun­day. It was a par­tic­u­larly im­pres­sive feat as he was with­out a co-driver for the du­ra­tion.

An op­por­tunis­tic late-race over­take al­lowed Adrian Wray to snatch vic­tory from Martin Wills in the open­ing MGOC Cham­pi­onship en­counter. Wills sur­vived nu­mer­ous slides in windy con­di­tions but bet­ter trac­tion out of the hair­pin gave Wray the chance he needed to take his third suc­ces­sive win.

Be­hind the top two, Adam Jackson looked set to com­plete the podium, but his hopes were dashed as he was forced into re­tire­ment early on. Jim Bay­nam took vic­tory in Class A.

Wray was de­nied in race two due to re­tire­ment, mean­ing that Wills headed Jackson, while Bay­nam again took the Class A win.

Nick Dunn led from start to fin­ish in the first of two Max5 Cham­pi­onship races, beat­ing John Munro by 2.2s. De­spite set­ting the fastest lap in qual­i­fy­ing, In­vi­ta­tional driver Paul Rod­di­son started from the back and fin­ished third af­ter the 12 laps in his new Mk4. Guy Carter pre­vailed in Class B.

Dunn con­tin­ued his win­ning run by pip­ping Rod­din­son to the flag in race two as Chris Web­ster com­pleted the podium.

Reign­ing Club­mans Cup cham­pion Alex Champ­kin re­cov­ered from a slow start from pole to take a com­mand­ing vic­tory in the first race of the week­end.

The Vi­sion V84 driver then dou­bled up by tak­ing a vic­tory in race two ahead of Phil Weaver’s Neme­sis.

Champ­kin com­pleted a clean sweep as Weaver re­tired three cor­ners from the end in race three. Jonathan Hair bagged three podi­ums in the Beagle’s first race out­ing in 30 years.

Garry Wat­son’s inch-per­fect safety car restart proved cru­cial as he edged series leader Joe Spencer to vic­tory in a tight first CNC Head Sports & Saloons race. Race two was tighter but Wat­son, driv­ing a West­field SEW, could not be beaten as he se­cured the dou­ble ahead of Paul Rose’s Saker RAPX.

Colin Simp­son and Bill Addison shared the North­ern Sports & Sa­loon Cars race wins in a Mar­cos Man­tis and Cater­ham Su­perlight re­spec­tively.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.