Red Bull’s aero­screen con­cept breaks cover

Motor Sport News - - Racing News -

Red Bull tested its ‘aero­screen’ cock­pit pro­tec­tion de­vice for the first time in Rus­sia last week­end.

For­mula 1 bosses have set a dead­line of July 1 to de­cide which con­cept will be used for 2017, af­ter Fer­rari ran its halo de­vice in pre-sea­son test­ing.

Driv­ers are cur­rently di­vided over which con­cept they pre­fer, with Jen­son But­ton and Fer­nando Alonso speak­ing in favour of the aero­screen – which Daniel Ric­cia­rdo said was fine vis­i­bil­ity-wise.

But­ton said: “I think it looks pretty – I think it looks bet­ter than a nor­mal For­mula 1 car.”

How­ever, Felipe Massa and Ro­main Gros­jean both pre­fer the halo part, with Gros­jean say­ing: “I pre­fer the halo sys­tem be­cause I think in For­mula 1 you have to get the hel­met in the air.”

How­ever, F1 supremo Bernie Ec­cle­stone is still against the con­cept en­tirely. He sum­marised his opin­ion of both de­signs with: “I don’t like any of it.”

Red Bull tested its new head pro­tec­tion de­vice in prac­tice

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.