VW Cup or­gan­is­ers con­fi­dent of up­turn in en­tries for next round

Motor Sport News - - Racing News -

Volk­wa­gen Rac­ing Cup or­gan­is­ers are ex­pect­ing a grid boost in time for the sec­ond round of the cham­pi­onship af­ter just 15 cars turned out at Rock­ing­ham last week­end.

The VW Cup’s races at the Corby venue last term at­tracted 29 cars, with other rounds boast­ing ca­pac­ity grids at many venues.

The or­gan­i­sa­tion of the cham­pi­onship was taken over by the Max­i­mum Mo­tor­sport Group – headed up by Bri­tish Tour­ing Car Cham­pi­onship driver Ste­wart Lines – ear­lier this year. The group also runs the sis­ter VAG Tro­phy se­ries.

Lines said the dip in en­tries co­in­cided with par­ity is­sues in the class last sea­son, and said he ex­pected cars to re­turn to the grid soon.

“This num­ber was ex­pected af­ter last year’s is­sues,” Lines said. “Last year had power dis­crep­an­cies and I don’t think they were dealt with as well as they could be. That con­cerned driv­ers and teams, but we’ll act on any is­sues and we’ve shown we’ve got the bal­ance right.

“We saw these prob­lems with the VAG Tro­phy in the past, and we re­cov­ered to have 33 on the grid at Don­ing­ton a few weeks ago. We’re con­fi­dent we’ll move for­ward af­ter we’ve had to start from scratch. We’re ex­pect­ing over 20 for Oul­ton Park [on May 28-30].”

VW Cup at­tracted just half the en­tries it had last sea­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.