Severn Valley saved in one-off MSA/NRW deal for forests
The Severn Valley Stages will go ahead as planned after the Motor Sports Association and Natural Resources Wales reached a deal to secure the event.
The Builth Wells-based Rally was in doubt as the MSA and NRW are yet to agree a master agreement in order to allow rallying to take place on Welsh government-owned land.
However, following the one-off agreement between the two parties, the June 4 event can now go ahead despite being after the expiration of the current master agreement, which ends on June 1.
Keith Ashley, clerk of the course for the Severn Valley Stages, said: “Going ahead as planned is absolutely brilliant news after the uncertainty of the last few weeks. It is also good for both the sport and the volunteers who have spent 12 months organising the rally.”
The event – which also forms part of the Welsh Rally Championship – is one of four included in the series that are still to take place this year. However, Welsh Championship co-ordinator David Evison believes the rest of the championship will go ahead as planned.
“Only a small proportion of the route of the Nicky Grist Stages in July uses NRW roads,” said Evison. “The same goes for the Woodpecker Rally in September, while November’s Wyedean Rally runs on [English] Forestry Commission roads.”
Last week Nicky Grist Stages clerk of the course Neil Cross confirmed the event will go ahead with or without the NRW mileage. l British Rally Championship organisers have confirmed that crews wanting to contest the Severn Valley Stages won’t be in any contravention of its rules. The rally is set to run similar stages to the NG Stages in June, but the BRC confirmed that rules on restriction of reconnaissance (Article 14.3 in the regulations) does not count in this case. Entries are open and expected to fill after the above news.