Daryl Jones bounced back from a try­ing week­end in Don­ing­ton Park to claim the first two race wins in the F3 Cup, the first of which was helped by a poor start for Shane Kelly and a non-start for Rob­bie Watts.

Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports - BY CHAR­LIE EUSTICE

The pres­sure was re­lieved for Jones in race two when Tony Bishop spun out of sec­ond place at Clear­ways and, though the safety car would neu­tralise the field, nei­ther Kelly nor Watts would gen­uinely trou­ble Team Fox man Jones.

In race three, how­ever, he could only hold his lead as far as lap three, when triple Don­ing­ton win­ner Kelly slipped past at Druids to take the vic­tory.

Af­ter win­ning the Lo­tus Cup races at Snet­ter­ton and Don­ing­ton Park, Adam Mackay’s per­fect start to the start to the sea­son was dented with a DNF at Brands, and Ja­son Baker took full ad­van­tage, win­ning by just over 10 sec­onds from Adam Knight.

Baker’s good form seemed to con­tinue in the Elise Tro­phy cat­e­gory as well, but post-qual­i­fy­ing scru­ti­neer­ing found his car to be un­der­weight, and so his fourth-place grid slot be­came 13th, with an added 10-sec­ond penalty. That left Fred­die Hether­ing­ton and Stu­art Rat­cliff – who set iden­ti­cal qual­i­fy­ing times – to do bat­tle with Alex Ball, and the trio were sep­a­rated by barely a sec­ond at the che­quered flag. Hether­ing­ton, in front, re­sisted Ball’s pres­sure all race.

With no penalty ap­plied for race two, Baker was able to streak clear, aided by an off for Hether­ing­ton as he tried to pass Ball for sec­ond place.

Toby Bearne took his maiden win in the VAG Tro­phy’s first race of the week­end af­ter pole­sit­ter Paul Ivens slumped to fifth, but a con­tro­ver­sial in­ci­dent in the sec­ond race would see Bearne stripped of his win, and ex­cluded from the meet­ing al­to­gether. Dar­relle Wil­son passed both Bearne and Dar­ron Lewis dur­ing race two, but Bearne made con­tact with Wil­son at Pad­dock Hill Bend, and both ended up in the bar­rier, end­ing the race af­ter just five min­utes and hand­ing Lewis vic­tory. Race three’s mixed grid led to a shuf­fle of the pack, and Daniel Clark took his first win of the sea­son in his VW Golf Mk5, hold­ing off the feisty Pas­sat of John Stevens.

Matt Swaf­fer got past Pro­duc­tion BMW pole­sit­ter Harry Good­man at the start of the race, but a dar­ing pass by the lat­ter at Druids on lap seven re­turned the pair to their start­ing po­si­tions, and there they re­mained un­til the che­quered flag of not only race one, but race two as well. Good­man has now ac­crued five out of six wins so far this sea­son, but Swaf­fer sits just 14 points adrift.

Nigel Innes took pole and both race wins in Rac­ing Sa­loons. Stu­art Waite had dom­i­nated the first two rounds at Oul­ton Park and Don­ing­ton with a sec­ond place, two poles and three wins, but he had to play sec­ond fid­dle to Innes in the first race, and fin­ished third be­hind Stephen Pear­son in the sec­ond race.

Jack Lang got off to the best start in the first Rad­i­cal Chal­lenge race, lead­ing from pole po­si­tion. A three-lap safety car for Lewis Gee and David Simp­son’s sec­ond-lap ex­cur­sion did not per­turb the EX-BRDC 4 man, and he held his own against chas­ing driv­ers Brian Caud­well and Steve Burgess, the lat­ter of whom passed Tony Wells with one lap to go.

Race two also fea­tured an early safety car, and Bradley Smith took top step on the podium, with Burgess and Wells in tow, and Lang down in 11th af­ter a dis­as­trous start. Lang re­cov­ered to win the 40-minute fi­nal Rad­i­cal race, but more im­pres­sive was Joe Sta­bles’ drive from 11th on the grid to fin­ish sec­ond.

James Tay­lor re­sisted pres­sure from Oliver Barker all race long in the first Rad­i­cal SR1 Cup race, but fail­ure to ob­serve waved yel­low flags for Chris­tian Olsen’s stricken car on the very last lap got Barker ex­cluded from the race. Tay­lor dou­bled on his win in race two, with Barker third, just be­hind Kye Wheat­ley.

Jeremy Timms hit the pit wall very early dur­ing qual­i­fy­ing for the Mono­posto 1800, 1600 & Moto 1400 & 1000 race, but was able to scorch past all 19 driv­ers in his way dur­ing the race; win­ning ahead of cousin Ja­son Timms, who had taken pole. Jeremy Timms also took vic­tory in race two, this time over 20 sec­onds ahead of Craig Hur­ran.

Con­tact be­tween front row-starters Ben Cater and Tony Bishop on the first lap of Mono­posto F3, F2000 and Clas­sic race one dropped both down the or­der and gave David Gil­lett vic­tory. How­ever, both found their feet for the sec­ond race, fin­ish­ing just over a sec­ond apart with Cater at the fore.

Oliver White was named Cham­pion of Brands in the fi­nal event of the week­end, hold­ing off Luke Wil­liams in the one-off For­mula Ford 1600 event.

Pho­tos: Gary Hawkins

Jones took ad­van­tage of a poor get­away from Kelly and a non-start for Watts

Bearne (r) won first race but was later ex­cluded af­ter clash with Wil­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.