Motor Sport News - - Racing Reports -

Shayne Dee­gan dom­i­nated the Mini Miglia Cham­pi­onship races at Cas­tle Combe, with a win­ning mar­gin of just over 19s on Sun­day af­ter­noon.

How­ever, all at­ten­tion trackside was fo­cused on the en­thralling bat­tle for sec­ond place. Six driv­ers swapped po­si­tions through­out but even­tu­ally Kane Astin emerged on top (hav­ing started fourth) with Aaron Smith oc­cu­py­ing the third step on the ros­trum.

The sec­ond Miglia en­counter was marred by an ac­ci­dent at Tower in­volv­ing David Drew, which led to a red flag stop­page. Dee­gan had been in con­trol and he han­dled the sec­ond start with aplomb, tak­ing his fifth vic­tory from six Miglia races in 2016.

There was heart­break in the first Mini Se7en en­counter for Char­lie Budd. Me­chan­i­cal mal­adies af­ter qual­i­fy­ing on pole led to an en­gine change and fur­ther is­sues in the race. Max Hunter emerged vic­to­ri­ous by a mar­gin of 0.7s from Lewis Selby in race one. Hunter fought off Kieren Mcdon­ald and Selby in a race-long duel to win race two.

The 750 Mo­tor Club Road­sports race was dom­i­nated by Jamie Sturgess in his SEAT Leon Su­per­copa. The first Cas­tle Combe Tro­phy race, ex­clu­sively for sports rac­ing ma­chines, was an em­phatic dis­play by Josh Smith, with a 45-sec­ond win­ning mar­gin.

Em­phatic dom­i­na­tion was also a fea­ture of the Sports v Saloons race. Nigel Mustill fin­ished well down the road in his new Lam­borgh­ini with over a minute in hand over near­est ri­val, Cater­ham driver Tim Wood­man. The Lam­borgh­ini also went on to win Cas­tle Combe GTS race, re­sis­tance was pro­vided by the Mit­subishi Lancer Evo of Barry Squibb.

Craig Flem­ing con­trolled the first Sports Se­ries race from Josh Smith, who was un­able to chal­lenge de­spite run­ning faster than he had the day be­fore. The sin­gle Combe Saloon Car Cham­pi­onship en­counter brought Dave Scara­manga’s first win of 2016, although he was hounded for the du­ra­tion by Si­mon Nor­ris in his diminu­tive Mit­subishi Colt.

The Dave Al­lan Tro­phy race ended un­der red-flag con­di­tions af­ter race leader Henry Neal en­dured an un­for­tu­nate ac­ci­dent at Folly in the car he shared with Craig Smith. The drama also took out the Chaz Ryles/james Blake MG ZR. The Honda Jazz driven by Henry’s father and brother, Matt and Will Neal, was even­tu­ally de­clared the race win­ner.

The open­ing For­mula Ford race started with a bang, namely for Chase Owen who was spat out of the pack at Folly.

A red flag pe­riod en­sued and at the restart Michael Moy­ers jumped ahead of Nathan Ward’s Spec­trum. Roger Orgee then snuck into sec­ond po­si­tion and a fan­tas­tic duel be­gan, with Orgee stalk­ing Moy­ers, but he was un­able to make an im­pact. Ward, mean­while, was fight­ing Ben Nor­ton for fourth un­til the pair clashed.

Nor­ton fell down the order but Ward still took a podium af­ter Luke Cooper was de­nied third place by a penalty for a yel­low flag in­fringe­ment. For­mula Ford ac­tion then rounded out the day with more drama, with a red flag re­quired for a multi-car crash at Folly in­volv­ing Hugh Robert­son, Sam Street and Richard Hig­gins. On the restart Ward was able to con­trol the race from the front of the field, ahead of Nor­ton and Orgee, who scrapped through­out the race with Moy­ers and Cooper.

Mustill dom­i­nated Sports v Saloons

Dee­gan was a two-time Mini win­ner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.