EXPANDED ROUTE PLANNED FOR R.A.C. RETURN
Historic rally set to get bigger, better and harder when it returns in ’17
Plans are now developing for the return of a bigger and better Roger Albert Clark Rally in 2017.
The R.A.C. was cancelled for both 2015 and this year amid a lack of entries after crews were disappointed with the compact route on offer.
Event manager Colin Heppenstall has given details of early plans for the expanded rally, which will be longer and tougher than previous editions, with a provisional date of November 9-12, 2017.
“The outline is a four-day format offering between 200 and 225 stage miles using forest districts around the country, with stages of a length to challenge the competitors,” said Heppenstall. “It is hoped that forest districts in Wales, Yorkshire, Kielder and the Scottish Borders will be used. It is our intention to make this event open to all vehicle types and it will be available on both subjective route notes and maps.”
Heppenstall added that initial plans for a 100-mile event in Kielder this November have been shelved, but said that the positive response to that event had been a factor in the planned return of the multi-day rally.
However, the financial outcome of cancelling the 2015 rally has been a major factor in the decision process.
“The cancellation of the 2015 rally cost £16,000 and the Roger Albert Clark Rally Motor Club needs time to consolidate its finances, not only for the championships and event it is promoting in 2016 but also for the future in 2017 and beyond,” said Heppenstall.
R.A.C. will run over four days