CLUBS WORK­ING TO RE­GAIN LOST RACES

GROUP NA­TIONAL ED­I­TOR

Motor Sport News - - Racing News - Bri­tish GT drama, page 32

The Bri­tish Rac­ing and Sports Car Club and Mo­tor­sport Vi­sion Rac­ing are both eval­u­at­ing ways to try to resched­ule the lost races from Sil­ver­stone last week­end af­ter tor­ren­tial rain cur­tailed the Bri­tish GT and F3 meet­ing.

Un­usu­ally heavy rain­fall and thun­der and light­ning de­scended on the cir­cuit shortly af­ter the fin­ish of the Sil­ver­stone 500 Bri­tish GT round, de­lay­ing the start of the third and fi­nal BRDC Bri­tish F3 Cham­pi­onship race.

The stew­ards sent the safety car out to eval­u­ate the cir­cuit, but opted to aban­don the meet­ing as con­di­tions had de­te­ri­o­rated to an un­safe ex­tent. The fi­nal F3 race, along with the sec­ond races for the Volk­swa­gen Rac­ing Cup and Ginetta Rac­ing Driv­ers’ Club were all can­celled.

Both the BRSCC and MSVR, which will run one of the fi­nal two Uk-based GT meet­ings each, are now eval­u­at­ing sched­ules to see if it will be vi­able to run any of the lost races, or whether they will be struck from their re­spec­tive cham­pi­onships.

BRSCC clerk of the course Bernard Cot­trell said: “We waited for as long as we could for the rain to clear but when the safety car was hav­ing trou­ble lapping there wasn’t a de­ci­sion to make. At Sil­ver­stone you also have a cur­few to re­spect, and it was clear time was run­ning out.”

MSVR com­pe­ti­tions di­rec­tor David Scott, who is also clerk of the course for Bri­tish F3, said: “We sent the safety car out and it cre­ated a bow wave and aqua­planed at 40mph. There was half-an-inch of stand­ing wa­ter at all cor­ners and the run-off was flooded, so the track wasn’t suit­able for any­thing to race on.

“We fully en­dorse the de­ci­sion of Bernard [Cot­trell] and the stew­ards be­cause it was a mat­ter of safety.

“We’re run­ning out of meet­ings. There will be no fourth F3 race at Spa [the next round in July], so it leaves us with Snet­ter­ton [Au­gust] and Don­ing­ton Park [Septem­ber], both of which have busy timeta­bles. But there has been no firm de­ci­sion as yet.”

Safety car had trou­ble Con­di­tions wors­ened dur­ing the Bri­tish GT en­duro

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.