Running order decision to come in September
The running order regulation for next season is expected to be ratified in September.
The World Motor Sport Council meets in Turin on June 24, before an agreement will have been found on who should run first in next year’s World Rally Championship.
WRC manager Jarmo Mahonen met with the teams and drivers in Sardinia last week and will do the same again in Poland next month, by which time he expects a clearer idea of what the new rule will be.
“I’m talking to Sebastien, I’m talking to everybody about this, we’re evaluating everything,” Mahonen told MN. “I have told the teams I want to nail this regulation in August, in time for World Council [in September].”
Mahonen wouldn’t be drawn on current thinking, emphasising that all alternatives remained possible.
Insiders have, however, hinted at a return to championship leader first on the road for day one, then reverse classification for the rest of the weekend – but a return to qualifying also remains possible.