The Nurburgring Nordschleife
The Brits conquered Germany in 1927: that is when the fearsome Nurburgring opened. Sure, the first race winner was a German motorcycle racer, but he was using a British-built Velocette.
The original circuit with the ‘Sudschleife’ section, included 174 corners. After the second world war, it was the Nordschleife that was used. The 16.123-mile test would become the home of the German GP and was dubbed the Green Hell by Jackie Stewart after his win there during a sodden race in 1968.
Even before that, the circuit had begun to change for the sake of safety. A chicane was added shortly before the end of the lap to slow the cars down as they approached the pit lane, but the safety fears were growing.
F1 drivers decided to boycott the race in 1970 because they wanted upgrades and they couldn’t be made in time. Barriers were erected and some of the bumps were taken out. F1 returned in 1971.
But, as the speed increased, the fears never subsided. That pressure, along with the desire for TV coverage around the entire track meant that the 1976 race would be the last. That was