Motor Sport News - - Sporting Scene - By Gra­ham Brown Re­sults Pho­tos:, Colin Casser­ley

Or­gan­iser: In­car­ace When: Au­gust 29 Starters: 28

In the best day of his Na­tional Hot Rod ca­reer, Dave York put to­gether a well taken heat and fi­nal dou­ble in front of a huge bank hol­i­day crowd at Northamp­ton, only just fail­ing to com­plete a hat-trick with sec­ond in his other race.

Andy Lee set the pace in the first heat, pur­sued by Andy Mclaird, who got un­der Lee go­ing into turn one. It wasn’t long be­fore Danny Hunn had fol­lowed suit al­though Lee con­tin­ued hold­ing his own de­spite trail­ing a thin plume of smoke.

York was next to rel­e­gate Lee, go­ing on to pass Hunn for sec­ond af­ter a lap side by side. But Mclaird was too far away for York to do any­thing about. The pair fin­ished in that or­der.

Heat two turned out to be some­thing of a lively en­counter and not al­ways for the right rea­sons. Lee was again the pace­set­ter and stayed in charge for a lot longer this time. Steve Dud­man re­lieved Ivan Grayson of sec­ond spot early on, leav­ing Grayson to fall back into the clutches of York and Mikey God­frey.

An in­ci­dent in­volv­ing Paul Gomm and Mark Ed­wards sparked off a fur­ther col­li­sion which sent Lay­ton Mil­som spin­ning and also put Ja­son Kew out with a flat tyre. Mil­som man­aged to get go­ing again and fol­lowed the leader round but with­out be­ing able to un­lap him­self, thus act­ing as a buf­fer to keep Lee’s pur­suers from mount­ing a chal­lenge for a while.

When Mil­som sud­denly pulled off, York’s way was left clear to close in on the leader, and he darted past along the in­side of the back straight two laps from home.

It was only when all the cars had stopped that it be­came ob­vi­ous that Ed­wards and Gomm weren’t happy with each other, the two in­dulging in a bit of im­promptu banger rac­ing, which was go­ing to see them take no fur­ther part in the event. In­deed, both have sub­se­quently been banned for three meet­ings.

Paul Frost seized the ini­tia­tive in the third out­ing, quickly cre­at­ing day­light be­tween him­self and Dud­man, while Grayson and Mclaird set­tled into dis­put­ing third, ahead of Dave Gar­rett and God­frey.

But the man to watch was Dick Hil­lard. He put Shaun Tay­lor be­hind him be­fore get­ting to­gether with God­frey, Colin Smith and Grayson in the tight­est rac­ing of the af­ter­noon.

In the end, Hil­lard bested all of them, al­though the Dud­man-mclaird dice for sec­ond was too far ahead for him to catch by flag fall, and Frost’s win was as­sured by then too.

The charge to turn one in the fi­nal was one of those that could have ended in tears. Most sur­vived the in­evitable se­ries of col­li­sions but Mclaird was forced into the wall on the back straight as the rest raced on.

It was York who’d not only snatched the lead but was soon busy mak­ing good his es­cape, helped along by Dud­man get­ting loose and slid­ing wide to let Gavin Mur­ray, Kym Weaver and Hil­lard through.

Weaver looked es­pe­cially racy, duck­ing un­der Mur­ray to take up sec­ond, but he wasn’t clos­ing York down, the leader main­tain­ing his ad­van­tage.

As the race went be­yond mid-dis­tance and York started to en­counter back­mark­ers, Weaver did start to bring down the gap. But the leader was ac­tu­ally ex­tend­ing his edge again by the end, tak­ing the che­quers still well clear of Weaver, who had a sim­i­lar dis­tance be­tween him­self and Mur­ray.


York was im­pe­ri­ous at Northamp­ton Northamp­ton York (left) took the fi­nal vic­tory

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.