Ma­cau or­gan­iser Bland quits af­ter 33 years

Motor Sport News - - Racing News -

Teams have been left con­fused as to the fu­ture of the Ma­cau F3 Grand Prix af­ter long-serv­ing race or­gan­iser Barry Bland stepped down last week.

Bland’s Mo­tor Race Con­sul­tants firm has co­or­di­nated the pres­ti­gious event since it be­came an F3 race in 1983. Bland no­ti­fied teams last week that he has with­drawn from the Ma­cau GP or­gan­i­sa­tion with im­me­di­ate ef­fect.

The closing date for en­tries for the Novem­ber 17-20 event was last Fri­day [Sept 9] but has been ex­tended by a week, dur­ing which time teams should fi­nally re­ceive the sport­ing reg­u­la­tions.

Up un­til 2015 Bland ne­go­ti­ated with the Ma­cau Grand Prix Com­mit­tee, which has since been re­placed by the Ma­cau Sports Bureau and na­tional ASN, the AAMC. It is up to the FIA and the AAMC to ap­prove and re­lease the reg­u­la­tions.

Fortec’s Richard Dut­ton said: “It’s very, very strange and no­body re­ally knows where they stand with en­tries or reg­u­la­tions or any­thing. It’s not good prepa­ra­tion for one of the best events of the year.”

Bland told Au­tosport: “The way we’re now be­ing asked to op­er­ate is not very sat­is­fac­tory for us. Ev­ery­thing is run­ning very late, there are a lot of unan­swered ques­tions and I don’t wish to put our rep­u­ta­tion on the block for some­thing we’re not happy with.”

Sims wants an­other Ma­cau shot

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.