Motor Sport News - - British Gt Report - Peter Scherer

Tom Witts kept his VW Rac­ing Cup ti­tle hopes alive with an­other round to go at Brands Hatch next month tak­ing two wins to cur­rent leader Phil House’s one.

Toby Davis led race one from pole, with House, Witts, Si­mon Rudd and Peter Barrable en­gag­ing in a four-way fight for sec­ond, un­til the safety car in­ter­vened for four laps. Davis was clear again from the green flag, but a bro­ken balljoint sent House drop­ping down the or­der and left Witts to close in on Davis’s lead.

Into Mcleans on lap 10, they were nose-to-tail be­fore Witts made the de­ci­sive move ex­it­ing the Esses. Rudd and Davis then ex­changed as Barrable looked on but, af­ter run­ning four abreast into God­dards on con­sec­u­tive laps, Davis set­tled back into sec­ond with a lap to go, as Barrable com­pleted the podium and Paul Ivens snatched a last lap fourth from Rudd.

The par­tially re­versed grid for race two handed Paul De­hadray pole, but his lead soon ended in the Redgate gravel. That left Ivens to hold off Bobby Thomp­son, with Barrable into third when Witts went wide into God­dards.

Thomp­son piled the pres­sure on and led into Mel­bourne on lap two, leav­ing Witts to fight Ivens for sec­ond, as the safety car ap­peared again.

Within a lap of the green flag, House had de­moted both Ivens and Witts, but Witts was third into Mcleans. Thomp­son’s ad­van­tage soon dis­ap­peared and House went by into Mel­bourne to claim a last lap vic­tory, with Witts fol­low­ing af­ter Thomp­son was forced wide and down to third. Ivens held onto fourth, well clear of Kieran Gor­don, af­ter Barrable pit­ted.

Witts got his sec­ond win af­ter tak­ing Davis and eas­ing clear of a scrap. Thomp­son even­tu­ally broke for sec­ond with Rudd com­plet­ing the podium.

Newly crowned Ginetta GT5 Chal­lenge cham­pion Ol­lie Chad­wick led home Ryan and Jonny Had­field in their first race of the week­end, with all three hold­ing sta­tion through­out. In race two, Matt Chap­man bat­tled hard but had to give best to the Had­fields. Once ahead Ryan es­caped. Jonny joined him a lap later as seven cars fought for third. But into Mcleans on the last lap Jonny was tripped up by back­mark­ers, leav­ing Jac Con­sta­ble in sec­ond as Chap­man just held off Alex Toth-jones for third.

Chad­wick ended his sea­son with an­other win in race three, with Ryan Had­field a clear sec­ond and Matt Palmer clas­si­fied third af­ter Chap­man was pe­nalised for start­ing out of po­si­tion.

Phil In­gram had a win­ning tre­ble in the Ginetta Rac­ing Driv­ers’ Club. Richard Tet­low had been caught up in a first cor­ner melee in race one, but still fought back to claim sec­ond on the last lap from Richard An­der­son. Tet­low found him­self chas­ing In­gram again in the sec­ond and third races from start to fin­ish. Richard Ish­er­wood com­pleted the sec­ond race podium. An­der­son ousted David Holloway at Redgate for third on the last lap in race three.

Mark Ash­worth’s TVR Gran­tura led the Equipe GTS from the third lap. An­drew Bent­ley’s MGB was in sec­ond for the most part.

In the first Sa­loon & Sports race Gary Bate’s Cater­ham just held off Dean Cook’s TVR Sa­garis to win race one. With Cook in the gravel on the first lap, Bate shook off An­thony Ben­nett’s Cater­ham for win num­ber two.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.