MALVERN TO MAKE SHOCK FFORD FESTIVAL RETURN
British GT star gets drive with Geva Racing
Multiple British single-seater champion Scott Malvern will return to the Kent Formula Ford Festival for the first time in seven years to spearhead the Geva Racing team’s bid for its first victory.
Malvern – the 2011 British Formula Ford champion and 2012 Formula Renault BARC winner – has signed with the leading Dutch team to handle its converted Mygale GV14-K in the October 22/23 event at Brands Hatch.
The 27-year-old from Barkingside has been racing a Porsche Cayman GT4 in British GT this term. During his singleseater career he won the 2011 Duratec Festival, but never won the Kent class, finishing second on the road to Rory Butcher in 2009 on his only appearance.
The 2013 Walter Hayes Trophy winner got his first test with Geva at Zolder last week and said: “It’s great to be back in a Formula Ford, and especially a Mygale as I haven’t raced one of those since I last won the Festival in 2011. It felt a bit like being home again.
“The Festival is a special event, and not winning the Kent version is a gap on my CV so I’m excited to come back with a top team and have a shot at it again.”
Geva Racing’s Nelson Valkenburg said: “The Festival is the big one for us each year and we’ve come close to winning it before, but it’s always passed us by.
“We’ve been great competitors with Scott and the Jamun team, so it will be great to join forces and we definitely stand a chance at winning this year. We needed a quick driver who understood the Mygale and the Avon tyres, and Scott fits the bill perfectly.
“Ironically we ran Steijn Schothorst to second place behind Scott in 2011, and it’s that exact SJ10 chassis that we converted to Kent-spec for him to race this year. Hopefully he can make it a winner.”
Malvern had first test in Mygale at Zolder Malvern will go for Kent victory