Motor Sport News - - Sporting Scene - By Ed Fahey Pho­tos: Ken Reay

Or­gan­iser: DMC Race Pro­mo­tion When: Septem­ber 17/18

Adam Hylands con­tin­ued his re­cent suc­cess in Na­tional Hot Rods by adding the Bri­tish Cham­pi­onship held at Tul­ly­roan Oval to last month’s Na­tional Cham­pi­onship win at Hed­nes­ford.

Two qual­i­fi­ca­tion races run the night pre­vi­ously in dry con­di­tions pro­vided heat wins for Jaimie Mccurdy and Glenn Bell but, with sec­ond and fifth place re­sults, Derek Martin was on pole for the fi­nal.

Along­side him was Bell, with Hylands and Keith Martin oc­cu­py­ing the sec­ond row.

Nei­ther the cur­rent World nor Euro­pean cham­pi­ons man­aged to fin­ish ei­ther qual­i­fy­ing race. That led to the rare sight of both Adam Maxwell and Carl Waller-bar­rett to­wards the rear of the 20-car grid.

Also en­dur­ing a poor qual­i­fy­ing run was de­fend­ing Bri­tish cham­pion David Casey, who was dis­qual­i­fied from heat two af­ter con­tact and elected not to race for the rest of the meet­ing.

For the main race on Sun­day, the track was soaked and driv­ers faced a tough task.

Bell leapt into the lead at the start al­though this was short lived be­cause sev­eral driv­ers had not stayed side by side un­til the green flag. That prompted a restart.

The sec­ond at­tempt started spec­tac­u­larly with Martin al­most spin­ning out com­pletely from pole only to catch it, avoid chaos and re­join­ing with­out los­ing too many places.

This al­lowed Bell and Hylands to take ad­van­tage of the brief melee and move slightly ahead of the rest.

The two Ti­gras re­mained side by side for sev­eral laps, both driv­ers util­is­ing part of the cen­tre line of the track, giv­ing the best grip and nei­ther gave an inch.

Be­hind, Keith Martin, Gary Wil­son, Mccurdy, Rob Mcdon­ald and a re­cov­er­ing Derek Martin chased the lead­ers down.

Hylands and Bell stayed side by side un­til a col­li­sion be­tween Billy Wood and Carl Sloan at the first bend brought a stop­page.

Hylands jumped ahead of Bell at the restart, with Keith Martin ahead of nephew Derek.

Derek ap­peared anx­ious to get past his fam­ily mem­ber as Mcdon­ald was breath­ing down his neck. Mcdon­ald briefly made it in to third po­si­tion but was forced to re­tire to the cen­tre with a hand­ful of laps to go.

At the front Hylands had pulled al­most half a lap ahead of Bell with Derek Martin in third. They were fol­lowed by Keith Martin, John Christie and Wil­son.

Hylands held on to win with an im­pres­sive vic­tory ahead of Bell and Derek Martin.

Dur­ing other events over the course of the week­end, Ian Mcreynolds won the re­verse-grid Re­venge race and Derek Martin took the Les­lie Dal­las Me­mo­rial Tro­phy.

A happy Hylands col­lects the sil­ver­ware

Hylands (l) fends off Bell and the pair would fin­ish first and sec­ond in the Bri­tish show­down

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.