Che­viot Stages Rally

Motor Sport News - - Rally Reports - By John Fife Re­sults Pho­tos: Writ­tle Pho­to­graphic, Martin Walsh

Or­gan­iser: Whick­ham and District MC; Hadrian Mo­tor Sports Club When: Oc­to­ber 9 Where: Otterburn, Northum­ber­land Cham­pi­onships MSA As­phalt Rally Cham­pi­onship; His­toric Tar­mac R.A.C. Rally Cham­pi­onship; North of Eng­land Tar­ma­cadam Rally Cham­pi­onship; HRCR North­ern His­toric As­phalt Cham­pi­onship; ANCC Stage Rally Cham­pi­onship; Bor­der Rally Chal­lenge Stages: 12 Starters: 54

Hav­ing won nu­mer­ous sin­gle venue ral­lies in the last few years, David Tinn scored his first multi-venue rally vic­tory on pacenotes on Sun­day when he and Giles Dykes won the Che­viot Stages Rally at Otterburn.

Tinn led from the start in his Pro­ton Sa­tria, but it was never easy.

“I went out on slicks for the first loop of three stages – and it rained,” said Tinn. “Even with In­ters on for the next three I had to back off in places.”

Lo­cal ace Michael Glendin­ning was only 35 sec­onds be­hind in his Subaru af­ter three stages but was hav­ing to fend off the Mit­subishi Lancer E6 of Richard Slinger who seized the run­ner-up po­si­tion af­ter the sec­ond loop by one sec­ond.

Glendin­ning’s fight­back suf­fered a ter­mi­nal set­back on the next stage when he clouted a chi­cane bale which broke the man­i­fold, and then Slinger struck trou­ble. “The rear brakes locked-up un­der brak­ing for a chi­cane and I was faced with a choice of de­stroy­ing the chi­cane or tak­ing to the grass,” he said.

He felt he was rather harshly treated when he was docked a 15-minute penalty for miss­ing out the chi­cane.

That moved Richard Clews to third in his Subaru, but he wasn’t happy ei­ther. “The clutch failed at the start of SS3, but we’ve got no time to fix it,” he said.

BRC team boss Martin Wilkin­son had been as high as third af­ter three stages in his CA1 Sport Ford Es­cort Mk2, ben­e­fit­ting from the right tyres in wet con­di­tions. But as things started to dry out he slipped back into the clutches of the sim­i­larly mounted Damian Cole. The mis­chievous Cole’s smile was in play over the fi­nal two stages as he con­verted his ear­lier sixth place to fin­ish on the podium in third place.

Chris Ford had a fairly un­event­ful run into fourth place in his Subaru Im­preza WRC push­ing Wilkin­son back into fifth, but Wilkin­son was happy. He said: “This is my first time on Otterburn for 17 years and my first time us­ing pacenotes since 1995!”

Stu Bain­bor­ough scored a sixth place fin­ish, but only af­ter he had put his Lancer E6 through a hedge – twice. “I slid off at the Fly­ing Fin­ish of stage nine, through a hedge and into a field,” he said. “But I couldn’t see the hole I had made so had to drive through it again to get back on the road!”

Alis­tair Hutchin­son fin­ished seventh in his Re­nault Clio, but only af­ter one of the team had driven from Otterburn to Mid­dle­ton in Tees­dale to get two re­place­ment rear hubs and discs for the car and then fit them dur­ing the lunch halt.

Mark Borth­wick was eighth in his Es­cort Mk2, and Class B10 win­ner Chris Grieve scored a su­perb ninth place over­all in his Peu­geot 106. Round­ing off the top 10 was the Mk2 Es­cort of Ross Brusby fin­ish­ing sec­ond to Hutchin­son in Class B11.

Stephen Beth­waite scored the Class B9 win in his Vaux­hall Corsa de­spite a wrong tyre choice in the morn­ing. “I saw the sun and put slicks on, then half way round it rained!” he said.

Bob Fow­den posted the first re­tire­ment of the day when the Subaru suf­fered a re­peat of its gear­box prob­lems on the way from ser­vice to the first stage, and hav­ing thought all his elec­tri­cal trou­bles were over with the Pro­ton, Barry Ren­wick was side­lined with a fuel prob­lem.

Pro­ton man Tinn gave Sa­tria a vic­tory Grieve: Class win in his Peu­geot 106

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.