Will fail­ing to change my li­cence cost me?

Motorcycle News (UK) - - Garage -

I re­cently moved house but be­fore I could change the ad­dress on my driv­ing li­cence I was caught on a mo­bile speed cam­era. The land­lord at the house I’d moved out of didn’t for­ward the penalty no­tice and now, four months af­ter the of­fence, I have just re­ceived a court sum­mons. I would never have con­tested the of­fence and would have been happy to ac­cept the fine and points on my li­cence but I am now wor­ried that the fine may be in­creased. Where do I stand legally on this?

Alexan­dra James

You should be fine as you have a le­git­i­mate ex­cuse. I sug­gest you go down the route of a statu­tory dec­la­ra­tion. Statu­tory dec­la­ra­tions are used to al­low a per­son to af­firm some­thing to be true for the pur­poses of sat­is­fy­ing some le­gal re­quire­ment or reg­u­la­tion when no other ev­i­dence is avail­able.

You need to speak to the court to ex­plain the sit­u­a­tion with the house move and they will ar­range for you to at­tend to ex­plain the cir­cum­stances to the mag­is­trates. They will then ask you to sign the dec­la­ra­tion – avoid­ing the need for the trial.

Your ex-land­lord may also be able to pro­vide you with a state­ment con­firm­ing he did not for­ward it to you – but I don’t know whether you left on friendly terms. It is worth point­ing out that mak­ing a false statu­tory dec­la­ra­tion is a crim­i­nal of­fence.

Many peo­ple don’t change their ad­dresses on their driv­ing li­cences and they are risk­ing a hefty fine. You need to change it im­me­di­ately to avoid things like this hap­pen­ing.

‘You will need to ex­plain what’s hap­pened to the mag­is­trates’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.