Q A stranger bor­rowed my bike. Am I li­able for claim?

Motorcycle News (UK) - - Garage -

I loaned my bike to a mo­tor­cy­cle club for the week. I have since been con­tacted by the po­lice as it was in­volved in an in­ci­dent where a rider at the club bor­rowed the bike and caused around £800 of dam­age to a car. Some­how my bike was un­dam­aged.

I have not given the po­lice de­tails of the rider, as the club does not keep records of who was rid­ing, and the wit­nesses can­not iden­tify me as the rider. As the owner of the bike, am I li­able for the cost of the dam­age? Anony­mous

A When­ever you al­low any­one other than a named driver to ride your bike, the rel­e­vant in­surer in the event of an ac­ci­dent de­pends on whether or not the rider was in­sured to ride your bike (ie, whether they had their own in­sur­ance pol­icy and ’driv­ing other ve­hi­cles’ cover).

Your case is com­pli­cated by the in­volve­ment of a mo­tor­cy­cle club and the uniden­ti­fied rider. If the club has its own group pol­icy of in­sur­ance then that pol­icy will be the rel­e­vant one. If it did not, it will de­pend on the rider.

If the rider is iden­ti­fied and was in­sured to ride your bike, his/ her in­sur­ance com­pany will be re­spon­si­ble for the dam­age. If they were not in­sured, then your in­sur­ance com­pany will have to pay out, as what is re­ferred to as the ‘RTA in­surer.’ Your in­surer will then be en­ti­tled to seek re­cov­ery of this sum from you (and you would also be li­able to be pros­e­cuted for the of­fence of per­mit­ting a ve­hi­cle to be used with­out proper in­sur­ance).

‘If the rider wasn’t in­sured, your in­sur­ance firm will have to pay’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.