Can I get my Q Cana­dian mate cov­ered on my bike?

Motorcycle News (UK) - - GARAGE -

I have four 1970s bikes on a clas­sic pol­icy and I want to lend my Tri­umph T160 in June to a Cana­dian friend to ride at the MC Pis­ton event in Spain. How­ever, my insurer and ev­ery in­sur­ance com­pany I have con­tacted so far, re­fuses cover for a ‘non-res­i­dent’. Phil Ed­wards, Sh­effield

AAn­swered by Alas­tair Mcfar­lane, MCI Tours Main­stream in­sur­ers are of­ten un­will­ing to cover a non-res­i­dent be­cause they don’t have the claims ex­pe­ri­ence to assess that per­son’s risk pro­file. Plus the rider may be un­fa­mil­iar with UK or Euro­pean con­di­tions.

How­ever, there are a few niche un­der­writ­ers that will con­sider cases like this, so if you think that you might need to add an over­seas friend on your pol­icy in the com­ing year, then fac­tor it in at re­newal time. Each will de­pend on all the usual fac­tors: age, ex­pe­ri­ence and claims his­tory, so get those de­tails from your mate be­fore you re­new. I un­der­stand that Lyn­brook In­sur­ance can of­fer you cover this time.

The other op­tion is to hire a bike. I’ve used Road­trip Mo­tor­cy­cle Rental in Wok­ing, Sur­rey for cus­tomers in the past as the guys there are good and en­thu­si­as­tic. They can do sin­gle-day or week­end hire, up to six weeks for a Euro­pean mega-tour. Other firms of­fer­ing a sim­i­lar ser­vice in­clude: Su­per­bike Rental in Brent­wood, Es­sex; West Sus­sex Mo­tor­cy­cle Hire in Chich­ester, Sus­sex and Hunts Mo­tor­cy­cles, Bur­nage, Manch­ester.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.