Motorcycle News (UK) - - Feature -

How to find these routes

The eas­i­est way is to join your lo­cal TRF group. Mem­ber­ship is £45 a year and your money goes to­wards pro­tect­ing the lanes as well as see­ing you become a fully fledged mem­ber. The Fel­low­ship op­er­ates a net­work of lo­cal groups through­out Eng­land and Wales, with most or­gan­is­ing trail rides on a weekly ba­sis. You’ll join a like-minded lo­cal group who will take you to these lanes and show you where you can and can’t go. Most mem­bers run ad­ven­ture bikes and are happy to help other rid­ers learn how to make the most of trails. Visit for more info.

Green-lan­ing and the law

Trail rid­ing is not ‘off-road­ing’. The routes used are all pub­lic high­ways with ve­hic­u­lar rights. Bike and rider must there­fore be fully le­gal. Green lanes are sen­si­tive en­vi­ron­ments and the TRF has a Code of Con­duct to en­sure the right to use them isn’t com­pro­mised by care­less be­hav­iour. Find it on the TRF web­site.

Where you can go

The routes used con­sist of By­ways Open to All Traf­fic (BOAT) and Un­clas­si­fied County Roads (UCR). Other un­sur­faced lanes and rights of way are not usu­ally open to ve­hi­cles. BOATS are marked as such on Ord­nance Sur­vey maps, while UCRS are shown as Other Routes with Pub­lic Ac­cess. Con­tact the lo­cal High­ways and Rights of Way Depart­ment and check with the lo­cal TRF group to be sure of your rights be­fore rid­ing as some routes may be closed by Traf­fic Reg­u­la­tion Or­ders. Visit ord­nancesur­ for info.

Rid­ing with a group is top fun

A good map is VERY im­por­tant

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.