Brussels sprouts with pancetta and chestnuts
SERVES 8–10 INGREDIENTS
• 1kg Brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1-2 tsp olive oil
• 200g pancetta, cut into lardons
• 200g vacuum-packed chestnuts
• 2 lemons
1. Trim the base of the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half lengthways. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the sprouts and blanch for 2-3 minutes, then drain well.
2. Heat the olive oil in a wide frying pan and fry the pancetta for a few minutes until golden and crisp. Toss in the sprouts and cook for 2-3 minutes, tossing occasionally.
3. Roughly chop the chestnuts and add them to the pan. Grate the lemon zest over the sprouts and chestnuts and squeeze over a little juice. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Transfer to a warm dish to serve.
Christmas by Gordon Ramsay (Quadrille £15, Photography: Chris Terry)