Roast potatoes with chilli and turmeric
SERVES 8–10 INGREDIENTS
• 2.5kg potatoes, such as Maris Piper
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1½ tsp ground turmeric
• pinch of chilli flakes, to taste
• 4-5 tbsp olive oil (or goose/duck fat)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Peel the potatoes, quarter lengthways and place in a large saucepan of salted cold water. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes.
2. Drain the potatoes in a colander and sprinkle with the turmeric, chilli flakes and some salt and pepper. Toss in the colander to coat evenly, then drizzle with a little of the olive oil and toss again. Leave to steam for 5 minutes.
3. Put the rest of the olive oil in a roasting tray and place in the oven for a few minutes to heat up. Carefully add the potatoes and toss to coat in the oil. Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning a few times, until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and transfer to a warm dish to serve.