AGE-DE­FY­ING skin­care tips from the ex­pert

Con­trol how young you look by tak­ing an ‘in­clu­sive’ ap­proach to health

No. 1 Magazine - - BEAUTY -

Age­ing is a fact of life – it will hap­pen to us all and is out with our con­trol. How­ever, we can con­trol some­thing – look­ing years younger than your body age. A com­mon mis­con­cep­tion is that sun-wor­ship­pers get wrin­kles be­cause they spend too long bask­ing in di­rect sun­light, but this alone doesn’t cause skin to age. The in­evitable “age­ing phe­nom­e­non”is not caused by just one thing. The nat­u­ral process of skin cell re­newal slows down as we get older, which has a knock- on ef­fect on the elas­tic­ity of our skin and its abil­ity to heal when dam­aged. Skin­care guru Dr Howard Mu­rad ( pic­tured above) said: “It is this cel­lu­lar weak­ness that makes it dif­fi­cult for cells to re­tain the water they need to func­tion op­ti­mally. Water is lost from the materials that keep the col­la­gen and elastin ‘fac­to­ries’ go­ing and water is lost from ev­ery layer of the skin.” So what­ever age you are – it is im­por­tant to take care of your skin in­side and out, that means do­ing much more than us­ing a qual­ity mois­turiser each day! Did you know that only 20 per cent of your skin health is down to ex­ter­nal care? The other 80 per cent is from in­ter­nal care, so sup­ple­ments and good nu­tri­tion have never been so cru­cial. Dr Mu­rad added:“we look and feel our best when we take an in­clu­sive ap­proach to health that ad­dresses our needs through emo­tional self-care, in­ter­nal care and top­i­cal care. That means eat­ing well and tak­ing di­etary sup­ple­ments that are tar­geted on im­prov­ing your health all the way down to the cel­lu­lar level. “When your body has what it needs to cre­ate strong wa­ter­tight cells, all sys­tems (in­clud­ing skin) can func­tion at an op­ti­mal level.” Only then, will ap­ply­ing mois­turiser morn­ing and night re­in­force and re­store re­silience to the top layer of your skin. Here, we ex­plore what you should be do­ing to look younger dur­ing each decade of life, and, that starts as young as your 20s...

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.