E.coli bug that hit 3 chil­dren is over

North Wales Weekly News - - WRITTEN BY YOU -

AN out­break of E.coli which saw three chil­dren taken ill in Conwy has been de­clared over.

In to­tal, 83 peo­ple were screened for the po­ten­tially deadly bug as part of an in­ves­ti­ga­tion by Public Health Wales and Conwy Coun­cil.

They were all given the all clear.

A child care provider shut vol­un­tar­ily dur­ing the out­break but has now re­opened.

Health of­fi­cials said it was not be­lieved to be the source.

Dr Chris White­side, con­sul­tant in com­mu­ni­ca­ble dis­ease con­trol at Public Health Wales, said: “Ev­ery­one who could have been put at risk has been screened and has tested neg­a­tive, and we are able to de­clare this out­break over.”

The three chil­dren struck by the bug are re­cov­er­ing at home.

E.coli causes se­vere di­ar­rhoea, ab­dom­i­nal cramps and fever, and can cause kid­ney fail­ure in chil­dren.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.