STU­DENT HOMES FULL STORY PAGE2 PLAN FOR OLD HOS­PI­TAL SITE

New five-storey block and con­ver­sion of Vic­to­rian build­ings

Nuneaton Telegraph - - FRONT PAGE - Sam Dim­mer News Re­porter sam.dim­mer@coven­try­tele­graph.net

VIC­TO­RIAN hos­pi­tal build­ings that have stood empty for nearly a decade could be turned into stu­dent ac­com­mo­da­tion.

Plans have been sub­mit­ted to trans­form part of the old Coven­try and War­wick­shire Hos­pi­tal site in Stoney Stan­ton Road – re­tain­ing and re­fur­bish­ing the re­main­ing build­ings.

The hos­pi­tal was shut in 2006 when the new Univer­sity Hos­pi­tal opened in Wals­grave.

All of the post-war build­ings on the site have since been de­mol­ished and the area has been used as a car park, but the for­mer nurses’ home and out­pa­tients clinic, which are listed, re­main.

As well as adapt­ing them, de­vel­op­ers also want to build a new five storey block, cre­at­ing a to­tal of 291 bed spa­ces for stu­dents.

There will also be a new cafe to­gether with land­scap­ing, ve­hi­cle and pedes­trian ac­cess, al­though park­ing will only be avail­able for dis­abled stu­dents.

Ni­cholas Mar­chini, from the agents Mar­chini Cur­ran As­so­ciates, said: “The pro­pos­als are for a new stu­dent ac­com­mo­da­tion that will pro­vide an ef­fec­tive and sus­tain­able re­use of two ex­ist­ing listed build­ings and the op­por­tu­nity to de­velop as­so­ci­ated con­tex­tual mod­ern build­ings at a key lo­ca­tion in the city.

“The pro­pos­als may act as a cat­a­lyst for fur­ther de­vel­op­ment of the wider site.

“The new build­ings are de­signed in a con­tem- po­rary style us­ing mod­ern ma­te­ri­als that rep­re­sent the for­ward think­ing na­ture of the deal­er­ship, that along with the well con­sid­ered land­scap­ing pro­pos­als will

cre­ate a wel­com­ing scheme in a key lo­ca­tion in the city.

“The scheme brings two cur­rently va­cant listed build­ings back into use, which will pre­vent fur­ther de­cay and of­fers the op­por­tu­nity for care­ful re­pair and adap­ta­tion of the build­ings for the fu­ture.”

The hos­pi­tal first opened in 1867 and the nurses’ home and out­pa­tients’ clinic were com­pleted in 1908 and 1909. They are all that re­main of the site, with many of the other build­ings de­stroyed dur­ing the Coven­try Blitz.

The nurses’ home was badly dam­aged, los­ing a sec­tion of the roof that is now flat.

An arche­ol­o­gist’s re­port sug­gests that build­ing is cur­rently in a “poor and de­te­ri­o­rat­ing con­di­tion” and is suf­fer­ing from van­dal­ism, theft and the ef­fects of the damp and cold.

A pub­lic con­sul­ta­tion into the ap­pli­ca­tion, from Stu­dent City Inns Lim­ited, based in Kent, will start on Jan­uary 14 and run for three weeks.

Build­ing work has al­ready started on an­other part of the site to cre­ate a per­ma­nent base for Eden School – an all girl Mus­lim free school.

The for­mer Coven­try and War­wick­shire Hos­pi­tal site.

The derelict Vic­to­rian build­ings which have been empty for nearly ten years. Be­low, part of the space where a new five-storey block would be built

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.