Nuneaton News Petition demands re-think on huge new homes plan
A DEMAND is being made to council bosses to re-think controversial plans to allow 15,555 houses to be built across Nuneaton and Bedworth over the next 13 years.
Action groups from across the borough have united to form one super campaign group opposed to Nuneaton and Bedworth’s Borough Council’s ‘Borough Plan.’
They have collectively rallied their efforts to ‘make their voices heard’ and to get the council to revise the contentious plan.
Now they are asking residents to add their weight to the campaign, signing a petition which they hope to get at least 10,000 signatures on.
“In order to make our collective voice heard, various resident’s action groups have now come together to raise a petition about the nigh housing numbers in the plan,” said Lubs Cvetkovic, one of the members of the action group.
“We want a minimum of 10,000 signatures to present to the council to clearly show that this is an excessive housing target, largely as a result of the council being bullied by Coventry council to take over 4,000 homes overspill .”
The petition states: “The housing target by Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council in the draft Borough Plan is excessive and unreasonable and overstates local need. We should not be forced to take overspill from Coventry.
“We are the most densely developed district in Warwickshire and least able to take so many extra houses, while overloading local infrastructure for health, education and roads.
“We call on Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough councillors and the council to bury political differences and work constructively in the best interest of the borough to establish and commit to a lower housing that matches local need, reject the overspill from Coventry because it takes scarce land resources that are important to our local environment.”
Campaigners say some of the significant changes are:
380 homes on Hawkesbury Golf Course added to the plan
The 14,060 housing numbers to be built by 2031 remains but the numbers could rise to 15,555 by the end of the plan, in 2031.
Each site housing number now proceeded by ‘at least’ so developers can build more than the allotted numbers originally stated.
Major developments such as 775 at Caldecote, 200 extra at Higham Lane and at Tuttle Hill plus around 500 at Chetwynd Drive are not included in the plan numbers.
Council bosses have said that comments given in the consultation into the controversial Borough Plan should only be made about the proposed changes and no other aspects of the plan.
They say that the independent planning inspector, David Spencer, said that the consultation exercise should focus on the proposed main modifications only, and no other aspects of the plan.
Cllr Neil Phillips, cabinet member for planning and development, said: “We are seeking feedback from our communities on the proposed modifications to our emerging Borough Plan.
“It’s important to remember that the focus of this consultation exercise is on specific modifications, and the Inspector is not re-opening any debate from previous stages of the examination.
“I hope that those interested in the modifications will contribute views to the planning inspector.
“The Borough Plan is an important document which will shape our local area for many years to come – the input of the community in the whole process is vital.”
Cllr Phillips has previously addressed the issue of the number of houses within the plan, saying the council will review the numbers but only after the plan is adopted. As previously reported, people power led to the council deciding to extend the consultation from the planned six weeks to eight weeks in order to give more people the chance to have their say.
The consultation is running until Wednesday, November 7.
Anyone who would like more information on the residents’ petition should log on to the page or email firstname.lastname@example.org their