Dying pensioner’s plea over cancer
LAWYERS are appealing to the former colleagues of a dying pensioner to come forward with information.
Stuart Goodwin believes he developed mesothelioma – an incurable asbestos-related cancer – while working at the iconic former Co-op headquarters 50 years ago.
The 74-year-old worked as an electrician in the 1960s – including as a contractor on Manchester’s CIS tower.
His solicitors are now searching for his former workmates in order to gather evidence about their working conditions.
The retired electrician, from Oldham, worked for CWS Engineering Ltd between 1961 and 1963 on the construction of the CIS Building on Miller Street in Manchester city centre.
He then worked for S Barnes and Co, an electrical contractor of Turner Street, Shudehill, Manchester, until 1966.
Mr Goodwin was responsible for servicing hairdryers in salons throughout Manchester and Bolton as well as on cruise liners in the Liverpool docks.
Following his cancer diagnosis, Mr Goodwin instructed industrial disease specialists Thompsons Solicitors to investigate a claim for compensation on behalf of him, his wife and two children.
The firm believes he was exposed to asbestos dust during his employment at both CWS Engineering and S Barnes and Co.
The pensioner said: “I had no idea at the time that working with asbestos could result in me developing this horrific disease.
“It’s a very distressing time for me and my fam- ily.” He is now appealing for anyone who worked for the same firms, at around the same time, to come forward.
Alison Barnard, from Thompsons Solicitors, said: “Any information from former workmates at either company may be vital in helping to ensure that Mr Goodwin and his family are supported in their claim to hold his former employers to account for his illness.”
Anybody who may have any recollection about the conditions at CWS Engineering Ltd and S Barnes & Co should contact Ms Barnard on 0161 819 3512.
●● Stuart Goodwin in his younger days