Spitfre-braised ox cheek with mash, red cabbage & English mustard clotted cream
8 HOURS|SERVES 6|EASY
We braise our ox cheeks whole at The Compasses and it gives a fantastically rich, sticky result.The punchy mustard clotted cream is a decadent accompaniment alongside the sharp red cabbage. (thecompassescrundale.co.uk)
ox cheek 1.5kg, trimmed
carrot 1, peeled and diced
leek 1, sliced
onion 1, diced
bay leaves 2
thyme 4 sprigs
Spitfire ale 500ml (or use any golden ale)
beef stock 1 litre
mashed potatoes to serve
BRAISED RED CABBAGE
red onion 1
red cabbage 1
balsamic vinegar 150ml recurrant jelly 50g
MUSTARD CLOTTED CREAM
clotted cream 200g
English mustard 20g
thyme leaves chopped to make 1 tsp
• Heat the oven to 140C/fan 120C/gas 1. Fry the ox cheek in 1 tbsp oil in a large, heavy pan over a medium heat. When browned, remove from the pan and add the vegetables, bay leaves and thyme. When all the vegetables are golden (about 8 minutes), add the ale and scrape away any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the ox cheeks back and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half. Add the stock, bring back to the boil, and cover with foil or a tightly fitting lid. Slow-cook in the oven for 4-5 hours, until very tender. Turn the meat every 2 hours while cooking.
• Slice the onion and red cabbage very finely and put them in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover with a lid and simmer gently for around 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage looks shiny and sticky.
• Mix the clotted cream and English mustard. Add the thyme and whisk for 20-30 seconds by hand, until it’s mixed and a little foamy. Chill for at least 1 hour.
• When the meat is ready, remove from the sauce. Reduce the sauce, if it needs it, to make a light gravy. Add the cheeks back to the pan.
• Serve the mash at the bottom of your dishes with the cabbage and ox cheek on top and spoon over some cooking liquor. Serve with the mustard clotted cream.
PER SERVING 615 KCALS|FAT 34G|SATURATES 18.2G CARBS 26.9G|FIBRE 5.1G|PROTEIN 44.1G|SALT 0.9G