Sausages with blackberries, bay and juniper
4 HOURS | SERVES 4 | EASY
Perfect for a midweek dinner, served with buttery mashed potatoes and dijon mustard.
olive oil 2 tbsp streaky bacon 4 rashers, roughly chopped small round shallots 300g garlic 2 cloves, finely sliced pork sausages 8 plain flour 1 tbsp red wine 200ml bay leaves 3 juniper berries 1 tsp, lightly crushed blackberry jam or jelly 2 tbsp blackberries 175g mashed potato to serve
• Heat the slow cooker to high or low, depending on desired cooking time.
• Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the bacon and whole shallots for 5 minutes until coloured, add the garlic and cook for a minute, then remove to a plate.
• Add the sausages and cook for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add the flour to the pan and stir well, scraping as you do. Return the bacon and shallots to the pan and mix well.
• Add the red wine, bay leaves, juniper and 1 tbsp of the blackberry jam or jelly and bring to the boil. Transfer to the slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low until rich and thick.
• Once the sauce has thickened, cook the blackberries in a small pan over a high heat with the remaining blackberry jam and a splash of water until just collapsed. Spoon the cooked blackberries over the sausages and serve with mash.
PER SERVING 564 KCALS | FAT 38.2G SATURATES 12.5G | CARBS 23.7G | SUGARS 12.5G FIBRE 6.6G | PROTEIN 18.6G | SALT 2G