Crosby ward off chasers

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Student Life - BY NEIL LEATHERBARROW

THIS week Crosby Vil­lage SC main­tained their slen­der lead at the top with an ex­cel­lent 6-0 away de­mo­li­tion over Skelmers­dale War­dens A – which sees them with a sin­gle point lead from their near­est ri­val.

The match saw Crosby’s Paul Wil­liams in tremen­dous form with a fab­u­lous break of 85 in his frame.

South­port Con­ser­va­tive Club con­tinue in sec­ond place in the stand­ings af­ter they too ended their evening with max­i­mum points as they de­mol­ished Maghull RBL B 6-0.

Maghull RBL A con­tinue in su­perb form as this time around they de­feated Stan­ley Club A 4-2 to record their sev­enth suc­ces­sive win.

The re­sult sees them con­tinue in third po­si­tion in the league table and sit five points off the pace.

Aughton In­sti­tute E was an­other team to grab all the points avail­able this week as they com­pleted a 6-0 de­mo­tion of Uphol­land So­cial.

Rob­bie Wil­son con­trib­uted a fine ef­fort of 54 in his frame.

In other re­sults, Quarry Green TAC shared the points with Scaris­brick NSL in a 3-3 draw.

Olympic BC sealed a solid 4-2 tri­umph at the ex­pense of Aughton In­sti­tute A, their first win for six matches.

Mean­while, St Cuth­berts clinched their first vic­tory since late Jan­uary as they com­pre­hen­sively de­feated Rain­ford X SSC 5-1.

SKELMERS­DALE United are in a sorry state at the mo­ment and af­ter last Tues­day’s record 10-1 home de­feat to Ash­ton United, they bounced back to a point in the first half against Bux­ton, match­ing their op­po­nents for most of the pe­riod.

How­ever, af­ter ar­guably be­ing a bit un­for­tu­nate to go a goal down just be­fore half-time, they had de­fender Michael Vaughan-Mus­cat sent off for a sec­ond yel­low card three min­utes into the sec­ond half and then col­lapsed de­fen­sively, con­ced­ing four goals in 14 min­utes.

It had all started quite brightly for Skem.

Af­ter Bux­ton’s Niall Do­ran had fired over the cross­bar early on, Vaugh­anMus­cat headed over the Bux­ton cross­bar then Seb Bradshaw shot wide, fol­lowed on 14 min­utes by a Max Allen free-kick that needed to be grasped firmly by Bux­ton goal­keeper Jan Budtz.

Both teams can­celled each other out for the next 25 min­utes or so, the re­spec­tive abil­i­ties to close each other down mak­ing the pass­ing and at­tack­ing en­deav­ours of both teams scrappy and spo­radic.

In the 41st minute that all changed. Joel Bembo-Leta drib­bled for­ward and ran into a Skem mid­fielder and a free­kick was given.

In their ar­moury Bux­ton have a left­back called Jamie Green who has played in the Foot­ball League for Rother­ham United – he is also known for be­ing one of the best dead-ball kick­ers in the EvoStik League, as Skem were to find out to their cost.

He sent the free-kick over the wall then dip­ping in­side the post to give Bux­ton a 1-0 in­ter­val lead.

Skelmers­dale al­most tied things up sec­onds af­ter the break. Rami Howarth got in down the left side of the Bux­ton de­fence but his shot was weak.

Bux­ton went straight down the other end but Glen Cameron got back in time to clear the Skem lines.

In the 48th minute Green played a ball that split the Skem de­fence and Bradley Grayson chased it, as Skem goal­keeper Chris Cheetham left his area and looked favourite to reach it. But Vaughan-Mus­cat tripped Grayson, and as he had re­ceived a yel­low card in the first half, so this one was fol­lowed by a red and left Skelmers­dale down to 10 men.

Alan Rogers quickly brought on de­fender Cal­lum Gro­gan but Bux­ton took ad­van­tage, scor­ing twice in three min­utes both from Green cor­ners. First a div­ing header from Greg Young crashed the ball high in­side the near post, then af­ter a fail­ure to clear the lines, Grayson drilled low into the op­po­site corner.

Skem didn’t give up but the or­gan­i­sa­tion of the pre­vi­ous 45 min­utes was shat­tered. On 62 min­utes for­mer Work­ing­ton mid­fielder Joe McGee headed in a Green corner, then from a Green free-kick Liam Hardy headed home.

The shell-shocked Skelmers­dale young­sters did re­cover a level of com­po­sure, but Bux­ton man­aged one more, Hardy vol­ley­ing home from an Alas­tair Tay­lor cross.

Be­lea­guered Skelmers­dale man­ager Alan Rogers said in his post match in­ter­view: “The first half per­for­mance was de­cent, the lads showed com­mit­ment and worked hard, they had a cou­ple of chances. They come out for the sec­ond­half and the send­ing off changes ev­ery­thing, af­ter what’s been go­ing on, heads dropped.

“We have what we have, we tried to bring play­ers in on trans­fer dead­line day (March 23), but peo­ple want money which we haven’t got. It’s dis­ap­point­ing, but that is the way it is.”

You have to feel sorry for Rogers, he can see the prob­lems but can do noth­ing about them.

With the fi­nan­cial con­straints he is work­ing un­der it is al­most im­pos­si­ble for him to im­prove things.

There are six games left, Skelmers­dale are rel­e­gated and dam­age lim­i­ta­tion is what has to go on now.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.