Richmond warm up for fi­nal with win

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Martin Mere - BY GEORGE CLANDON

RICHMOND made their way to the Black­pool area of Wyre to play yet an­other cru­cial game on their push for pro­mo­tion.

En­forced changes com­pli­cated man­ager Mike Clandon’s fi­nal team se­lec­tion.

On an over­cast day with a strong breeze blow­ing down the ground, Richmond got the game un­der­way, kick­ing with the breeze.

The early part of the match was not con­ducive to good and ac­cu­rate play by ei­ther side.

It was Richmond who took an 18 minute lead af­ter sev­eral at­tempts lead­ing up to the goal.

A cor­ner kick taken by Jack Gold­ing looked like it had been over­hit, the ball headed back into the dan­ger zone by Scott Tay­lor who although at full stretch man­aged to find Ian McKinty, who well marked by sev­eral de­fend­ers man­aged a re­turn pass back to the big cen­tral de­fender, to ham­mer the ball high into the back of the Villa net from close range.

McKinty was in the ac­tion again scor­ing the sec­ond goal clos­ing half time, a tremen­dous de­fence split­ting pass by Jack Gold­ing gave the Richmond for­ward what looked an easy chance.

The for­ward mys­te­ri­ously checked his stride for rea­sons un­known to all ex­cept him­self, then was closed down by a Wyre de­fender.

We needn’t have wor­ried as this did not hin­der the smaller Richmond front man who rounded his marker, then drove the ball into the top right hand cor­ner of the net, with an ex­cep­tional fin­ish.

Ref­eree Mr Mil­liband blew for half time with Richmond happy with a well or­gan­ised first 45 min­utes and the added bonus of two goals.

Richmond started to play some re­ally flu­ent foot­ball in the sec­ond half, mid­field­ers Tom Cor­ri­gan and Chris Jones work­ing well to­gether in tricky con­di­tions.

Tom O’Mal­ley in the Richmond goal had to be on his met­tle on sev­eral oc­ca­sions with shots and crosses into his area, mak­ing two out­stand­ing saves in the early part of the sec­ond half.

Richmond had been well mar­shalled in de­fence by Scott Tay­lor in the early pe­riod of the sec­ond half.

A free kick to Richmond ended at the feet of Tay­lor, up­field for the set piece.

What no one was ex­pect­ing was a thump­ing shot from the Richmond cen­tre half that left Cal­lum Croft in the Wyre goal to­tally shell shocked as the 25 yard ef­fort fizzed past him, bal­loon­ing out the back of the net for the away side to go three up on the hour mark.

The fourth goal by the in­flu­en­tial Nathan Mart­land was no less in­fe­rior than the Tay­lor third.

A su­perb cross field ball from Jack Gold­ing found Mart­land in acres of space, the Richmond man ran for­ward, took aim and once again left the host keeper clutch­ing fresh air.

An­other su­per fin­ish which guar­an­teed the Burscough side all three points.

Two men of the match this week, from man­ager Clandon who chose mid­fielder Tom Cor­ri­gan and the ever im­prov­ing Nathan Mart­land.

Clandon was im­mensely happy with the per­for­mance, es­pe­cially in the sec­ond half.

Richmond take on Black­pool Wren Rovers in the fi­nal of the Lan­cashire Am­a­teur Shield, at the County Ground Ley­land, this week.

An unbelievable pair­ing with Richmond cur­rently in third place in divi­sion one with Black­pool in sec­ond in the Pre­mier league and in the hunt for three tro­phies.

Richmond are the real un­der­dogs, but Wi­gan beat City in the FA cup a few year’s back, so who knows.

Bur­cough Richmond in ac­tion Im­age by Ian Robin­son

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.