Skem show spirit to fight back

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Martin Mere - BY NEIL LEATHERBARROW

SKELMERS­DALE United proved any­one who has any doubts about spirit wrong when they fought back from 2-0 down and 3-2 to earn a well de­served point.

Man­ager Alan Rogers said in his post match in­ter­view that he was un­happy with his side’s first-half per­for­mance, but also gave his play­ers credit for the way they struck back af­ter the interval to quickly make it 2-2, then be­ing caught on the coun­ter­at­tack and go­ing 3-2 down, be­fore fi­nally jus­tice pre­vailed and they grabbed an in­jury time equaliser.

Rogers said: “This morn­ing we only had ten men, a player couldn’t play at the last minute and I had per­suade a cou­ple of play­ers to miss work to play”.

As it was Skelmers­dale only had one sub­sti­tute on the day.

Skelmers­dale were caught cold for the open­ing goal in the fifth minute. A fairly in­nocu­ous ball was played down the right by Kyle Bryant, Mar­cus Mar­shall turned Max Allen then left him for pace, his low shot beat goal­keeper Joe Hil­ton and was go­ing into the net, Josh Do­bie des­per­ately tried to in­ter­vene on the line and was rather harshly given by the an­nouncer as the own goal scorer.

When Coalville made it 2-0 on 28 min­utes it wasn’t shock­ing, but the Skem de­fend­ing cer­tainly was. The ball was rolled out by Hil­ton and in­stead of boot­ing the ball long, a se­ries of short passes suc­ceeded only in dan­ger­ously giv­ing the ball away. Wat­son pounced and played the ball to Malachai Lavelle-Moore, he was al­lowed too much room and af­ter switch­ing the ball from right to left foot fired a storm­ing shot past Hil­ton from 15 yards.

When Hil­ton beat away a Rory Cole­man shot on 43 min­utes, it was plain to see why Rogers said he had given his side a broad­side dur­ing the interval.

Within sec­onds of the restart Steve Ir­win went close to an ex­cel­lent cross from Ja­son Jefferies, then on 48 min­utes Skelmers­dale pulled one back.

Coalville were a bit lack­lus­tre in their re­sponse to Allen’s free-kick and af­ter a poor headed clear­ance Be­van Burey drilled a shot low in­side the post.

Two min­utes later out on the right, Remy Howarth and Jefferies ex­changed passes and the lat­ter crossed deep into goal­mouth, Ir­win who is only about 5 foot eight, ran in between two de­fend­ers and launched a fly­ing header into the net.

A long ball from Bryant was missed by two de­fend­ers leav­ing Wat­son one on one with Hil­ton, he rounded the keeper and slot­ted home from an acute an­gle.

Three min­utes into added time, Phil Mooney went on a surg­ing run and played the ball wide to Howarth while he kept on run­ning him­self, Howarth’s cross to far post was headed down by Michael Vaughan-Mus­cat and home goal­keeper could only parry the ball away, Mooney’s run car­ried him into the six yard box and he beat Cot­ton from about four yards to tie the game up.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.