Bee­tles in lentils ‘wiped me out’

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Predator Jailed For Blitz Of Messages - BY KATE LALLY kate.lally@trin­i­tymir­ror.com @kate­lal­lyx

AWOMAN was sick­ened af­ter she bit into a bee­tle in her chilli – made us­ing lentils she bought from Asda.

Julie Duffy, 38, from Skelmers­dale, said that she was 40 min­utes into cook­ing her veg­e­tar­ian chilli on Satur­day evening when she tasted a spoon­ful. She said: “I feel trau­ma­tised. “I thought it was a black onion seed un­til I bit into it. Then I re­alised I hadn’t put any in.

“All that time cook­ing and I couldn’t even eat it.

“All of the lentils had bee­tles in­side them. My tea was rid­dled with them.”

Julie, who suf­fers from ME, is in con­stant pain, with symp­toms wors­ened by adren­a­line.

She said: “Find­ing bee­tles in my din­ner sent my pulse rac­ing and so the next day I was ab­so­lutely wiped out. I’d have taken the lentils back to Asda but I phys­i­cally en­ergy.”

In­stead, she tweeted pic­tures of the in­sects to Asda.

The mum-of-one said: “It took didn’t have the days for some­one to even get back to me and they’ve of­fered me a gift card. Not good enough re­ally.

“They need to re­call the lentils to pre­vent this hap­pen­ing again.”

An Asda spokesper­son said: “We are very sorry for Ms Duffy’s ex­pe­ri­ence and whilst there have been no other com­plaints of this na­ture, we take pride in the qual­ity of our prod­ucts and have launched an in­ves­ti­ga­tion with our sup­plier to find out what hap­pened.

“We’ve of­fered Ms Duffy a ges­ture of goodwill as an apol­ogy and will keep her up­dated with the find­ings of our in­ves­ti­ga­tion.”

Julie Duffy’s chilli meal

The bee­tles found in­side the lentils

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.