It’s time to look back at the history of the Wainwright family of Ormskirk
WAINWRIGHT is a familiar name to Ormskirk people. Many will know the name because of the jewellery shop in Burscough Street.
Ironmongery is another business belonging to the same family of Wainwrights.
The Wainwright, or Waynewright, family can be found in the Ormskirk Parish Registers as far back as the earliest years of the registers when Henry VIII first became head of the Anglican Church.
Without doubt the family will have been in Ormskirk much earlier, Waynewright burials during the 16th and 17th century were very often inside the church, which signified that they had some standing in the town.
Before 1800 the Wainwrights of Ormskirk were grocers, tailors and shoemakers.
By 1824, John Wainwright had opened his own business as a watch and clock finisher in Church Street.
His trade was assembling parts supplied from various craftsmen and then selling the finished watch or clock.
John had several sons, his son John became a watchmaker in Southport.
Benjamin worked with him in the Ormskirk store. Josiah was apprenticed to the ironmonger Richard Owen, opening his own ironmongery at 7 Aughton Street, before moving to 1 Moor Street on the corner of Burscough Street and later into the old Legs of Man building, later the Corn Exchange.
Wainwrights continued to trade from Church Street until opening a shop at 3 Burscough Street as Wainwright and Son, watch makers and jewellers. The store name remained but the owners changed.
Wainwrights bought the Cammack business from Moor Street and when that closed traded as Wainwright and Cammack.
During WWII Jack Bibby joined the company as an 14-year-old apprentice in 1941 and remained there until the store closed in December 1986, only taking time away for National Service four years later.
In August this year a new bench was installed in Coronation Park in memory of Jack, who was well known and respected in the town.
The bench is in the bowling green area and depicts his life as watchmaker and fell-walker.
The oak bench was handcrafted by Classic Memorial Benches of Lathom.
Jack’s widow, June, expressed her thanks to the park authorities, especially Anne Faulkner, the ranger, for allowing the bench to be placed there. It will be a useful and popular addition to the park.
Ormskirk & District Family History Society offer advice and guidance to family historians at their monthly meetings held in the Moorgate Guide Hut. The next meeting is on Wednesday, October 25 from 7.30pm with a talk on “Bows and Bowmen” from 8pm.
All welcome, £1 donation is requested for nonmembers.