As Manc are sub­dued

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Martin Mere -

skirk back into their 22 and Manch­ester were awarded a scrum ten me­tres out.

Their su­pe­ri­or­ity at the set scrum was fi­nally re­warded as Orm­skirk were driven back­wards to­wards their own line, only the scrum col­laps­ing stopped the move.

The ref­eree pe­nalised Orm­skirk for the col­lapse and awarded a well de­served penalty try to the vis­i­tors, this 19-7 score bring­ing up the in­ter­val.

The restart saw Orm­skirk de­ter­mined to put the game to bed, but over ea­ger­ness brought mis­takes which al­lowed Manch­ester to stay in the game.

At the scrum­mage Manch­ester were still over­pow­er­ing the home side and as they were driven off their own ball, the Orm­skirk de­fen­sive line, on the back foot, was breached al­low­ing the vis­i­tors a sec­ond score in the cor­ner.

At 19-12 Manch­ester were back in the game and the home side needed to dig deep to stay ahead, yet knew that they only needed good at­tack­ing ball to in­crease their lead.

Over­turn­ing a ball in their own half they quickly turned de­fence into at­tack, mov­ing the ball wide right through hands the try line was beg­ging only for the fi­nal pass to go astray.

At the scrum Manch­ester tried to kick clear only for the ball to be charged down.

Orm­skirk re­cov­ered the ball and the for­ward’s drive to the line re­sulted in Steve Rouke go­ing over for the bonus point fourth try con­verted by Tom Owens.

Orm­skirk be­gan to gain as­cen­dancy in the play as their su­pe­rior back play be­gan to make large in­roads into a tir­ing Manch­ester de­fen­sive line.

A pick up from the base of the scrum by Lloyd Jones took the ball from his own 22 to within 20 me­tres of the vis­i­tors’ line, re­cy­cled ball reached Jake Hod­son’s hands only for him to be tap tack­led short of the score.

Not to be de­nied, Orm­skirk won scrum ball and Jones again made the im­pact with a try from a pick at the base, 31-12.

The Manch­ester for­wards were still able to gain ground and push Orm­skirk back but their threat was now be­ing con­tained and Orm­skirk were able to launch counter at­tack­ing moves from their own half.

Scrum ball was moved to the blind­side for winger Alex Gaughan to break away, draw the op­po­si­tion and pass in­side al­low­ing Jake Hod­son to ghost in un­der the sticks, 38-12 af­ter the Owens con­ver­sion.

Straight from the restart Orm­skirk com­pleted a copy of the pre­vi­ous try with the ball reach­ing Alex Gaughan, again draw­ing the de­fender he linked with Jake Hod­son for his sec­ond con­verted try and the last score of the game.

The 45-12 fi­nal score did flat­ter the home side slightly as Manch­ester were in with a shout for 75 min­utes of the game.

There is now a break from League games un­til the first week in De­cem­ber, but next Satur­day Orm­skirk take on ei­ther New­ton-le-Willows or Birch­field away in the sec­ond round of the Alan Stone Lan­cashire Bowl com­pe­ti­tion.

Orm­skirk on their way to vic­tory over Manch­ester Vince El­lis

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.