Fugi­tive had threat­ened to stab and slash his ex-part­ner

Ormskirk Advertiser - - Front Page - BY JAMIE LOPEZ

AFUGITIVE woman beater dived off a boat into the canal in Burscough in a fu­tile at­tempt to swim away from po­lice.

Gary Stan­ley had pre­vi­ously threat­ened to skin his ex-girl­friend alive, be­fore punch­ing and bit­ing the young mum in a cow­ardly at­tack.

The 31-year-old was also wanted for of­fences rang­ing from co­caine deal­ing and knife crime to bur­glary and hav­ing a phone in prison.

Po­lice launched ap­peals to track down Stan­ley, of Kings­land Road, Nor­ris Green, ear­lier this year.

Liver­pool Crown Court heard he was fi­nally lo­cated on the Leeds and Liver­pool canal, in Burscough, on June 17.

Zil­lah Wil­liams, pros­e­cut­ing, said: “He was on a boat on the canal - upon see­ing of­fi­cers he jumped into the canal to es­cape, but was ap­pre­hended by the po­lice.”

Stan­ley ad­mit­ted be­ing con­cerned in the sup­ply of crack co­caine, pos­sess­ing a knife and two counts of pos­sess­ing cannabis, re­lat­ing to crimes in the North East.

The crook fled when po­lice spot­ted him at a car park in Durham at around 8pm, on Novem­ber 10, 2016.

He was caught while try­ing to climb over some rail­ings and said: “I think I dropped a knife as I ran.”

Stan­ley was found to have a 12in hunt­ing knife, plus a Kin­der Egg con­tain­ing 11.4g of cannabis resin and 2.66g of cannabis skunk, val­ued at £80.

Po­lice searched an ad­dress linked to him in Houghton-le-Spring and found 95.2g of 75% pure crack co­caine, val­ued at up to £6,000, in a freezer bag bear­ing his DNA, hid­den in a sock.

At the time he was on li­cence, hav­ing been jailed for six years and one month in 2014 for plots in­volv­ing a gang who bur­gled ri­val drug deal­ers to steal and sell their cannabis.

As a re­sult he was re­called to prison and on April 16 last year was be­ing held in a sin­gle cell at HMP Alt­course.

A guard looked through the ob­ser­va­tion panel at around 7.30pm and saw him asleep on a bunk, while “hold­ing a white iPhone in his hand”.

It was seized by of­fi­cers and po­lice at­tended the jail on May 21 last year, but he re­fused to be in­ter­viewed.

Af­ter be­ing re­leased, Stan­ley be­gan a re­la­tion­ship with Chloe Ros­siter in July.

Ms Wil­liams said by Novem­ber it “turned sour” and he be­came jeal­ous of her talk­ing to other men.

She dumped Stan­ley, who made threats to her and her family, who in turn con­tacted po­lice, but Miss Ros­siter

didn’t wish to sup­port a pros­e­cu­tion.

In Jan­uary the re­la­tion­ship re­sumed “on and off ”, un­til she de­cided to end it per­ma­nently on May 5, but he con­tin­ued to con­tact her.

Ms Wil­liams said: “Mes­sages in­cluded threats to “cut her throat”, and “skin her alive”. Miss Ros­siter was ex­tremely fear­ful and took the mes­sages se­ri­ously.”

On May 8 he rang Miss Ros­siter and told her to meet him at an ad­dress in An­to­nio Street, Boo­tle, which she did, out of fear.

Ms Wil­liams said: “He grabbed her by the hair and dragged her around. He punched her to the left side of the ribs, caus­ing bruis­ing.

“He bit her on the shoul­der, leav­ing a mark, and threat­ened her if she called the po­lice, so she didn’t.”

On May 10, af­ter re­ceiv­ing texts threat­en­ing to trash her Crosby home, she re­turned and found her sofa was ripped and two TVs dam­aged, at a cost of around £650, which led to a family mem­ber con­tact­ing po­lice.

She then re­ceived more than 80 calls and mes­sages from Stan­ley, in which he threat­ened to burn down her mother’s house and cut her sis­ter’s head off.

Over the week­end of May 30 she re­ceived count­less ‘no ID’ calls and dur­ing two, Stan­ley threat­ened to stab and slash her.

On June 1, he stood out­side a friend’s house and shouted that he knew she was there, but left be­fore po­lice ar­rived.

Stan­ley also phoned her mum, Ch­eryl Ros­siter, and left a voice­mail say­ing he was “not a***d if he gets shot by armed po­lice, your daugh­ter’s not get­ting away with this, you just need to call me, you stupid c***”.

Miss Ros­siter said she suf­fered panic at­tacks and was pre­scribed med­i­ca­tion.

The vic­tim also had to leave her chil­dren with their dad be­cause she was wor­ried about their safety.

Stan­ley struck at Namit Cash Store and Post Of­fice, in Stop­gate Lane, Boo­tle, in the early hours of De­cem­ber 27.

The owner was alerted by an alarm and ar­rived at 7.30am to find an in­truder had re­peat­edly tried to break in, caus­ing £600 of dam­age, hav­ing gained access to an empty flat above the shop via a bath­room win­dow.

The vic­tim said he in­creased se­cu­rity and suf­fered sleep­less nights.

Stan­ley’s DNA was found in blood on a win­dow tile, but he was not ar­rested un­til he was caught at the canal, when he had three bags of cannabis.

He ad­mit­ted ha­rass­ment with vi­o­lence, crim­i­nal dam­age, bur­glary, pos­sess­ing a pro­hib­ited item in prison, and pos­sess­ing cannabis.

Stan­ley’s 14 pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions for 40 of­fences in­clude mul­ti­ple bur­glar­ies and as­saults.

In 2007 he was locked up for 20 months for pos­sess­ing ex­plo­sives, bur­glary and ag­gra­vated bur­glary.

Ju­lian Nut­ter, de­fend­ing, asked Judge Gar­rett Byrne to con­sider the prin­ci­ple of “to­tal­ity” and to pass an over­all sen­tence which was pro­por­tion­ate.

Stan­ley grinned when handed an in­def­i­nite re­strain­ing or­der to pro­tect the vic­tim and her mum.

Jailed for five years in to­tal, he gave the judge a thumbs up and replied: “Thank you for that sir.”

Gary Stan­ley was jailed for five years

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.