Motorfest tour plan axed as virus rates rise
THIS year’s edition of Ormskirk Motorfest has been cancelled – despite efforts to redesign the event as a boroughwide tour.
The event’s organisers, Aintree Circuit Club, believed they had found a way to stage a modified event and still comply with social distancing guidelines.
While the traditional event attracts tens of thousands of visitors to view the range of vehicles, organisers had instead planned to take the cars on tour through Ormskirk, Skelmersale and Burscough.
But with local lockdowns being implemented across the North West as Covid-19 rates rise again, they have now conceded that holding a public event will not be viable this year. Discussions are now taking place about a private event being held for drivers which could be broadcast online
In a statement announcing the news, the club said: “As we have planned around the current situation, we’ve worked tirelessly to make Motorfest an event that everyone can try to enjoy by creating a route around the Borough that takes us on tour, gives drivers a different experience and the public the opportunity to catch the tour passing through areas of the borough.
“Due to the ever changing circumstances and with new areas experiencing higher infection rates within the North West and particularly Lancashire, the authorities have made the decision that Motorfest cannot go on tour, to reduce the risk of any COVID-19 spike in West Lancs.
“Although this isn’t news any of us wanted, we will make sure that Motorfest is back on full throttle for 2021.”
It is expected that the Ormskirk Motorfest will return in its normal form in 2021, and organisers say all entries for this year will be retained and transferred to the next event.
They also plan to hold the Motorfest on Tour next year as a new event in addition to Ormskirk Motorfest, which had been due to hold its 10th edition on August 30.
The statement continued: “We are really sorry to all of you who were looking forward to this year, but in this dynamic climate, authorities have a much bigger priority, which is to protect public health, which we stand by and fully support.
“Thank you to everyone for your support so far this year and let’s come back bigger and better to make Motorfest the event everyone wants to be a part of in 2021.”
West Lancashire Borough Council’s Cllr David Evans, whose Cabinet responsibilities include MotorFest, said: “We know how many of you really like the Ormskirk MotorFest and we have tried to come up with a plan to have an event this year. Unfortunately we don’t feel that can go ahead now, but we hope the event will return bigger and better than ever in the future.”
Last year’s Motorfest in Ormskirk town centre