Pi­rates wipe out Typhoons

Paisley Daily Express - - House Home - Pais­ley Pi­rates..11 Mo­ray Typhoons.1

Craig Ritchie

Pais­ley Pi­rates swept the Typhoons aside for the se­cond week­end in a row – rack­ing up their 100th league goal of the sea­son in the process.

Ian Tur­ley’s side were in con­trol from start to fin­ish in a match punc­tu­ated by bursts of scor­ing and pe­ri­ods of play in which they dom­i­nated, but just couldn’t find the back of the Mo­ray net.

Pi­rates have been in su­perb goalscor­ing form through­out the sea­son and it didn’t take long for the flood­gates to open on Sun­day.

The home side were ahead as early as three min­utes played when player/coach Adam Walker opened his side’s ac­count when they took full ad­van­tage of a pow­erplay to fire them in front.

But it was soon the Typhoons with the man ad­van­tage, and they quickly equalised through Daniel Grant, who made it 1-1.

Pi­rates had the bulk of the play there­after but the go-ahead goals didn’t ac­tu­ally ap­pear un­til the eighth minute.

De­spite find­ing them­selves short­handed on both oc­ca­sions, the Pi­rates scored twice in un­der 50 sec­onds through Mar­tyn Guy and Richard Thorp to give them their first real cush­ion of the match at 3-1.

They then net­ted a fourth in the 13th minute as Marc Crute was hand­ily placed to shoot home from close range.

And sec­onds be­fore the buzzer, Walker got his se­cond of the evening to give the home side an al­ready com­fort­able 5-1 ad­van­tage go­ing into the first break.

The dom­i­na­tion and pat­tern of play was re­peated in the mid­dle ses­sion as Pi­rates con­tin­ued to con­trol the game.

They ap­peared to beat a steady path to Typhoons net­min­der Michael McPher­son, but the goalie was on great form in be­tween the pipes as shots were stick­ing to his gloves and pads like mag­nets.

How­ever, he was even­tu­ally beaten in the 27th minute when Guy neatly took the puck around him to score his side’s sixth.

Pi­rates’ sev­enth, their land­mark 100th league goal of the sea­son, duly ar­rived af­ter 31 min­utes as skip­per Chris Tur­ley fired an un­stop­pable ef­fort to write him­self into this year’s his­tory books.

A fur­ther pair, the first from Guy to se­cure his hat-trick, and a first from Haydn Bain, took the score to 9-1 by the se­cond buzzer.

The third ses­sion con­tin­ued like the pre­vi­ous two, with Pi­rates mostly on the of­fence while Graeme Meechan in the home goal was equal to the oc­ca­sional shot that came his way.

The goals came early in the ses­sion as Bain scored a dou­ble ei­ther side of the 45th minute to com­plete his own hat-trick and take the score to 11-1.

And while the hosts con­tin­ued to press, they couldn’t find an­other counter, with Thorp com­ing clos­est with a shot which came back off of the bar with five min­utes left on the clock.

Pi­rates will be happy to clinch an­other two points and con­tinue to push Kirk­caldy and Dundee Comets at the top end of the league table.

They are back in home ac­tion next Sun­day when they take on North Ayr­shire Wild in a league derby, with face-off at 6pm.

Clos­ing in Euan McLaugh­lin eyes up the puck as he races past his Mo­ray op­po­nent Pic­tures: Al Goold Help­ing hand Coach Ian Tur­ley takes to the ice as Pi­rates clinch an­other vic­tory, above, and left, Tom John­ston calls for the puck as Pi­rates crank up the pres­sure

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.