Lout ig­nored blue lights and sirens

Paisley Daily Express - - Funds Pour In To Help Vandal-hit Community Farm - Ex­press Re­porter Con­nor Daw­son

An out-of-con­trol driver who led cops on a high speed chase through the streets of Pais­ley has been jailed.

Con­nor Daw­son was caged for eight months at Pais­ley Sher­iff Court this week after he ad­mit­ted speed­ing through red lights and dan­ger­ously over­tak­ing other mo­tors as of­fi­cers raced to bring him to a halt.

The 21-year-old took his friend’s mum’s Mini Cooper from Lo­nend, in Pais­ley, with­out per­mis­sion for a joyride, but quickly came to the at­ten­tion of po­lice.

After stalling at a set of traf­fic lights he restarted the car, spin­ning the wheels, be­fore speed­ing off.

A po­lice car spot­ted his an­tics on Septem­ber 7, at around 6am, and be­gan fol­low­ing him.

The court heard how Daw­son put his foot down when he spot­ted the cop unit.

The po­lice car had blue lights flash­ing and sirens sound­ing, but he paid no heed and tried to out­pace them, speed­ing down Bar­rhead Road, Ard­gowan Road and Barter­holm Road with­out stop­ping or slow­ing down at junc­tions.

He turned into Espedair Street, de­spite it be­ing closed for road­works, mount­ing the foot­path in a des­per­ate bid to evade cap­ture.

He was even­tu­ally stopped by a ‘No En­try’ sign which pre­vented him go­ing any fur­ther.

When Daw­son, of Balgray­stone Av­enue, Bar­rhead, ap­peared at the town’s sher­iff court, he ad­mit­ted tak­ing and driv­ing away the ve­hi­cle with­out per­mis­sion or law­ful author­ity, driv­ing dan­ger­ously through a red traf­fic light, over­tak­ing an­other ve­hi­cle too close, speed­ing and, at one point, mount­ing the near­side foot­path in an at­tempt to avoid po­lice.

He also ad­mit­ted driv­ing with­out a li­cence and in­sur­ance.

A de­fence agent said her client, an un­em­ployed painter and dec­o­ra­tor, had un­der­ly­ing “im­pul­sive be­hav­iour” is­sues which re­quired to be ad­dressed, hav­ing seen the whole episode as “some­thing of a reality check”.

It was an “ex­tremely stupid” es­capade, she said, adding: “When he saw the po­lice, he pan­icked.”

Sen­tence had pre­vi­ously been de­ferred for back­ground re­ports and, when Daw­son re­turned to court to learn his fate, Sher­iff Susan Sin­clair said the in­ci­dent was so se­ri­ous that cus­tody was the only op­tion.

She jailed Daw­son for eight months and dis­qual­i­fied him from driv­ing for a year, or­der­ing that he must re­sit and pass the ex­tended test of com­pe­tency be­fore be­ing al­lowed to get back be­hind the wheel.

When he saw the po­lice, he pan­icked

Locked up

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.